Speakers that work well close to the rear wall

Well there we go, problem solved!!

New name on me but blurb on website seems okay, which version did you have/test/audition, stand or floor mounts?

I’ve got ATC SCM11 that I have 7 inches from the rear wall and they are fine. I know ATC say 1 metre but that is just out of the question I guess for most rooms.
At 7 inches or so I get a nice bass sound, not overpowering or boomy at all. Play around with them.

2 Likes

They look remarkably similar to my X3’s. Might be the same cabinet - looks like it. And same port set up. But… a lot more money. I was told my X3’s would have been around £2500 when new. Mine were pre-loved… so a lot less.

I borrowed mine to try - and I kept then. Just paid over the phone…!!

2 Likes

It would be nice if loudspeaker manufacturers would take this issue seriously.
So many loudspeakers do need long distance to rear wall.

Its sort of crazy as ordinary living rooms for a family can’t have speakers standing in the middle of the room.
Apart from Naim and many Linn speakers, most are discontinued, I know very few current in production (by quick memory) that work up to say 25-30cm:
Audio Note (several)
Larsen/Carlsson
Proac 10
Rega
Kudos
Neat Iota
Ophidian Mojo and Minimo
Heybrook HB1
Several Royds
Snell A, K & Q
Guru
LS3/5a

1 Like

Yep my 11’s are 200mm from wall…

1 Like

Piega’s if you can find them. Also beautifully made.

1 Like

Any side walls close by?

How are your speakers sited regarding wall proximity?

About 100mm out from the wall and about 110mm from a shallow faux chimney breast.

The wall is external, modern construction - breeze and brick, with plaster board.

1 Like

There were the Wilson Duettes too and possibly their Tune Tots. I’ve never heard either but for the OP they’re home grown.

Not exactly in acres of space surrounded by fresh air then.

Thanks, this is very useful to know.

Nope.

2 Likes

Side walls are about 900mm

2 Likes

Very nice, you have given me some confidence that maybe a pair of Kudos would work for me, what I listened to at the store was a sound that was simply effortless, with the volume control on the Supernait set at around 7-8 o’clock the music just flowed.

Thanks for posting the picture, a great help.

A reasonable distance from the sides, mine are about 400mm.

I don’t know what is more important concerning placement, away from rear wall or side wall. Lots of trial and error ahead.

Another view.

Kudos speakers seem to be well like around these parts… :smiley:

1 Like

Can confirm my Kudos T505 sound best as close to the rear boundary as possible.

2 Likes

I only just realised that you said rear wall, not front. Is it surround speakers you’re after?

And I guess it depends on what those walls are made of… mine are batons and plaster board…

1 Like