Speakers with good rhythm

This is a strong point of Neat speakers. Always rhythmically engaging.

2 Likes

OK, great, thanks!

JBLs, tannoys

Thanks!

I just got a notification that read “Dozey Speakers with good rhythm” :smiley:

2 Likes

the most rhythmic I ever heard with Naim is Dynaudio, much more so than Naim’s own speakers…

3 Likes

I’m rubbish at all this audio speak stuff - I just know what I like and what sounds good to me. I’ve had ProAc speakers for a few years now, as have a couple of my friends, so I’ve heard lots of music through different models.

I’ve just done a quick and dirty Google search of ‘ProAc’ and ‘rhythm’ - huge number of hits, and pretty much every review singles out their rhythmic abilities. As I say, this doesn’t mean much to me, but as they sound so good, and so many others seem to think they do rhythm well, might be worth a listen.

Reference 3A speakers are worth shouting out about.
They don’t have a crossover, only a filter for the treble.
Many others using this method of fine tuning the main driver to cover all frequencies without recourse to attenuating with added capacitors and god knows what else.
Perhaps a more direct connection to the signal making those temporal phase effects playing out the rhythmic abilities of everything upstream.
Totem speakers, Wilson Benesch and Zu come to mind amongst others.
My tapping toes can’t keep up with my 3As.

Generally it’s accepted that those speakers with very simple crossovers or none are more transparent - keeping the music closer to the quality of signal. Wheras those with complex crossovers usually have their own sound and take over the music, regardless of equipment. So can vary on cost over quality within a budget. Paying a bigger budget will get a better crossover.

Many great suggestions and food for thought - thank you.

Neat Xplorers or Iotas

What is the rest of your system? No speakers will convey anything without some electronics to drive them and in most cases the electronics will have at least as much effect on rhythm as the speakers and often more so. You really need to think in system terms, rather than just one part of the system.

For example, I disagree strongly with @Alba1320 that ATC are “not good at rhythm” but they really come alive with a powerful amplifier and particularly when driven actively. For passives, I go along with the suggestion of Neat and Dynaudio, but again the result will be system-dependent.

Roger

I agree Roger but didn’t want to limit the options in any way, for future reference as much as anyway.

The chances are it will be a vintage CB system with NAP160 and fronted by modern or vintage LP12, but nothing set in stone yet, including the room.

In that case, Linn Kans

2 Likes

Already got them :wink:
And they are the best so far.
But looking to try one or two other models.
I think I’ll have to try Neat of some description.

If you want fantastic rhythm but not necessarily the most accurate have a look at Totem.

1 Like

Same here, amazing speakers

1 Like

PMC, especially the Fact 12s.

Maybe low group delay sounds like “good rhythm?”

Sealed box designs do make low group delay easier to engineer. I think that’s something I like about my Magicos.

Magico’s , Wilson Audio, ProAc, Dynaudio’s, Raidho, Avalon, Vandersteen, Marten.

I demo’d the totem arro’s years ago - amazing little speakers, nearly bought them!

The Dreamcatchers were pretty good too, in fact very good at warming up Wishbone Ash (it’s disgusting cold) but they could turn a Steinway concert grand into a cheap upright. I had them on trial for a second system using Rega Cursa/Maia and a Naim source, Allaes got that gig in the end and convinced me I needed Naim speakers in my main system.

1 Like