Spend serious money on wall sockets or not?

Hi, I have a spare group on my fuse box which I want to use for my audio. My question is if I should go for an expensive wall socket like this one furutech-fp-sws-d-high-performance-schuko-wall-socket-gold or just buy a standard wall socket.
Do some of you have some experience on using these kind of expensive wall sockets?

Plenty of wall sockets will be visible. Get the nicest looking ones, even if they’re expensive.

Hi, you can name it but please dont put a link to a shop.
At the moment my favourites are Hager Sollysta sockets. The opposite price range from Furutech, they are less than ÂŁ5 for a double unswitched.
If you are just doing 1 or 2 sockets then by all means use Furutech, but the quality ones from Hager, Crabtree etc are well made and do the job.

1 Like

This might be better in the Hi-Fi section.

Yes it’s certainly not Music!

I installed an Oyaide R1 socket. I wasn’t expecting much. It made a significant improvement! They are not that expensive compared to the rest of the system. I feel it is a worthwhile upgrade. I am sure the Furutech stuff is just as good.

It’s going to depend on what country you are but here in the UK the default plug, even for big systems, is usually the standard MK double unswitched socket. I’ve tried some of the Furutech offerings but thought they sounded a little hi-fi sounding in comparison.

1 Like

I use a Rhodium plated Furutech Schuko wall outlet to compliment the Furutech Rhodium plated plug on the Naim Schuko PowerLine - a significant step up versus regular wall outlets I have tried.

Ooh when did Naim switch to Rhodium Furutech plugs? I have 4 non UK PowerLines circa 2016-2019 and they are all brass contacts.

I don’t know when but the Rhodium plug is listed with the type approvals in the PowerLine manual:

Naim IEC connector: Type tested to EN60320-1, Nemko Report Number: 38993. Furutech FI-E35(R) has KEMA-KEUR approval # 2076430.01.

I’m away from home so can’t take a picture of mine but I found this right away on the internet - you can make out the (R) on the plug, denoting Rhodium.

I wouldn’t bother, one aspect to consider is going for sockets without switches for your audio. That is what I’ve done… it’s hard to say if any material improvement, but it has removed a series of contact connections, always a weak point in any electrical connectivity.

1 Like

I have just replaced my switched wall sockets with a combination of Russ Andrews Supersockets II and Missing Link Silver Plated Sockets for around ÂŁ30-40 a socket and have achieved a very noticable increase in SQ see Dedicated mains feed. Does the law of diminishing returns count for wall sockets? and if so what does the performance curve look like, I wonder?

1 Like

Not sure what that white box is plugged into the wall… look like a cheap wall wart powersupply… probably better of keeping it away from your audio… if it is any source of mains RFI almost certainly mitigates any micro advantages of using improved wall sockets.

It may be worse than that - It looks like a TPlink powerline adaptor :flushed:

1 Like

Omg… surely not… that would be spraying wideband RFI everywhere… really surprised with that proximity if the case there is not RFI break through/or increased noise floor… I suspect performance will be genuinely improved by removing it… if it is I bet the AM radio RFI test sounds like a 2 stroke without a silencer …

Just think once I had interference from 300 yards away from one of those types of devices into my radio audio… I got Ofcom involved and it went away… :grinning:

2 Likes

Omg…your in trouble now…

1 Like

It is a TPlink adapter enabling my iPhone or my iPad to control the Nova (over house mains). Its plugged into the house ring main as opposed to the separate Hifi sockets above which are on a separate Memera CU. It does not impact SQ in any way (I ave tested this) and without it I am left with controlling the Nova by the remote alone which is obviously a bind. I plan to add some ferrite choke noise suppressors as an extra precaution but doubt that they are strictly necessary as the HiFi sounds sublime without.

Roy K Riches has approved my set up so thats good enough for me :slight_smile:

It might not affect your SQ which is great… might not be the case for any neighbours you have into Hi-Fi or radio… anyway as long as you are happy… but they are one of the largest generators of wideband RFI in domestic settings there is currently, by consequence of their design they turn your mains wiring and all attached appliances into a near field wideband radio transmitter especially when transferring data… . and they don’t always provide reliable Ethernet bridges either, however have largely been superseded now by wifi mesh setups.

BTW ferrite chokes won’t make any difference at all to the RF transmissions here, as the RF is not common mode, it’s actually modulated across your mains in hundreds of tiny RF carriers that are all being phase modulated.

So the ferrite choke noise suppressors should help…No?

No not with PLAs… ferrites address RF common mode circulating currents, not RF modulated mains.
Also bear in mind PLAs turn your mains into a near field antenna system, so the space and air in your house becomes the modulated RF medium as well as your mains wiring.

If you are not into physics some of this can be counter intuitive, so a good test to illustrate what is happening is get a portable AM (MW or SW ) receiver, tune to a non station, turn on the PLA and then listen as you walk around your house near mains wiring. (But don’t put the volume high, if you are using headphones… you don’t want to damage your hearing)