Spendor A7 Vs D7

Reading about Dynaudios… you should audition a pair

What the reviews usually don’t mention is how Dynaudios get the time Response right !

Yes I think I just might, out of curiosity.
But am thinking this would have probably been a sidestep from the Acoustic Energy Reference 1s i had previously owned.

Were the Spendor D7.2(assuming you auditioned the 7.2’s not the previous version) easier to drive than the 804D3 with your Integrated? Dealers where I live have one or the other not both

Do you have an audio t local?.
I know they sell both the B/W 804D3 and the Spendor D7.2.

:slight_smile:
Nope. I’m in North America. We don’t get a lot of gear(kit) that you folks have. Nor can we have an in-home trial of equipment.

1 Like

Ah ok.
Sorry to hear that :smiley:

:slight_smile:
No worries
Be safe as well.

1 Like

It was with a nap 250dr.

1 Like

Actually with NAP 250 DR and 282/HCDR, the Spendor D7 (1st version) seemed not difficult to drive, about the same as the B&W 804D3

2 Likes

Returned the Spendor D7s
Analytical thin sounding and a little boring, Treble was excessive, I was trying every filter on my qutest to try to tame it with no success.

Yes you could hear every detail in the music but failed to satisfy me musically.
Sounded flat and unengaging, passable for big classical pieces but turn to a bit of rock and the excitement and dynamic drive was gone.

The D7s put me off playing most of my albums.
For me in my listening room with the Nait XS2 and qutest there were definite issues going on.

1 Like

D7’s or D7.2’s?

1 Like

D7s not 7.2s

1 Like

Gotcha. Have you tried the 7.2’s? I’m curious on your opinion or are you going to stick with the A7’s possibly? I have to live vicariously through you lol. I don’t have all your choices here in North America.

1 Like

No the A7s have gone too.
Between the D7s and the A7, the A7 IMO is a more musical speaker.
But my listening room is fairly big and a more live than a dead room.
Listening to the A7s at a dealers and listening to them at home was two completely different experiences.
Home demo is a necessity for me now.

Not going to try the D7.2s, after trying both the A7 and D7 at home, I don’t think they gel too well in my room with my system

The problem with most dealers is that alot of them have heavily acoustically treated rooms and I found I tended to prefer the brighter sounding speakers at a dealer but once I listened at home they where unbearable.

1 Like

I am currently demoing a pair of acoustic energy AE509s.
I had previously had a short demo of them at a different dealer and didn’t really give them a fair chance, but after experiences with the spendors I am giving them a longer try at home.
Listening to them as I type while they run in

To be honest I’m not surprised, the D7’s and XS2 was always a dubious combination, I suspect the A4’s will give you the best synergy

3 Likes

Since I have returned the A7s after a lengthy unsatisfactory home demo in my system, I don’t think the A4s would be any help.
And the A4s are really short, I would have to sit on the floor to get the tweeters at ear level as I do have a higher seating position and I am quite tall at 6ft6" :grinning:

Have you considered keeping your existing speakers and improving the amplifier?

A lot of the speakers you are looking at are really too much for a Nait XS. A Supernait 2 could be just the ticket and would then open you up to looking at better speakers, although I still wouldn’t pair something like the D7’s until was at 282/250 level.

Another observation, you seem sensitive to thin and analytical sounding speakers and want something musical. Having heard the Qutest I find it thin and analytical and lacks the musicality of a Naim source, albeit at a loss of some fine detail. The problem could be the Chord DAC and not speakers.

1 Like

My existing speakers where sold, a pair of acoustic energy reference 1 standmounts.
I did audition the Nait XS2 with a pair of Marten Heritage Bird 2s, and it sounded quite amazing.

And a lot of people have commented of the XS being more NAIM sounding and better than the Supernait.
I was actually put off upgrading to supernait 2 by a thread on the naim forums.

Before owning the qutest and hugo I was using a naim DAC-V1 and before that an audiolab M-Dac.
To me the DAC-V1 was dull and very dark sounding overpowering bottom end and the audiolab M-dac was the complete oposite,clinical full of detail but thin sounding.

The qutest like the Hugo I had before it, have gave me the biggest noticed improvement ever added to my system and IMO are a smooth and natural sounding DAC.

I have the AE509s at the moment being run in, very different sound signature to the spendor D7s and the A7s.
Fuller, warmer very dynamic with a lot more PRaT, its early days yet but they do seem to gel nicely with my XS2 and Chord Qutest

I would also suggest that you home demo Dynaudio if you can. I recently went through the exercise to find suitable floorstanders for my Nova (4.5x7.5m room).

I tried several speakers, not Spendor admittedly, and it came down to a showdown between Proac Twenty 5.24 and the Dynaudio Evoke 50, the latter winning. Through this exercise I recognised that I do not like the more revealing speakers and like those that are, for want of a better word, more “musical”.

I was very happy to find that, considering the Dynaudio are rear ported, placement is not so critical wrt distance from the walls.

1 Like