Spin-off questions from the System Pics

Thanks. And I still bow to the exquisite elegance of your room and the Shahinians.
Max

Cats on Fraims have an obvious dumping effect, but you have to persuade live ones to find the proper mm2 and stay there still. Tigers on speakers are probably intended to implicitly change the speakers into roarers; Lego Porsches are still without an explanation, if not that the many who likely have one (or two) Porsches in the garages are reluctant to drive them until upon the rack. As for sockets, they could be an alias for faces, just to let us know that in spite of the diffused idea that posh systems are an end in themselves, there’s a real person listening.
Could be?
:grinning:
M.

1 Like

Oh I really hope not :joy:

6 Likes

Are finished basements prominent in UK homes where users keep their hifi systems? Most systems I see are set up in family or living quarters with fireplaces and those funny looking white square radiators against the wall.

Most UK homes don’t have basements!

And the radiators are mostly the basic functional ones - essential for keeping our houses comfortable in winter, except for the few who use the old fireplace (and if not supplemented by central heating then other rooms will be cold, and if open fires there will be draughts and loss of heat. British central heating is mostly via hot water, not ducted warm air.

1 Like

My study instrument:

You know what it is … The king of instruments. Wooden midified keyboard, pedalboard on order but it will take a while before it is there.

3 Likes

The fireplace in our living room has an electric fire in it, and as above, SWMBO sometimes uses it in the winter, as that is the coldest room in the house!

Why do we still have a fireplace? Well, it’s ONE of the places where she keeps part of her large collection of framed photos (must be a Maltese thing). :roll_eyes:

I have to have a fireplace, where else would I burn all that firewood I purchase every year?

I was only asking, wondering if UK has a similarly weird law as we have here in some counties or regions forbidding open fire fireplaces. Many pizza restaurants have to use electric ovens, but some have managed to do great pizza even in restricted conditions. Necessity makes the brain sharper, or something like that?

No law about open fireplaces in Britain, though with its weather I guess anyone with a thought for either wasten money on heating or unnecessary pollution of the environment caused by whatever heats their home will have done something to close it so it is not a permanent gaping hole to the outside, even if the frontal appearance is unchanged. In my last house I fitted a wood burning stove, fully room sealed but free to heat by radiation and convection, and it was a lovely focal point and source of free heating given the patch of woodland behing my home, with occasional fallen trees. I will probably install one in my next home, but being sure to maximise efficiency by using one that includes a supplementary water heat exchanger.

I was surprised to read your comment about pizza ovens in italy - I presume that just relates to cities? However the last couple of times I was there (both within the past 4 years) even cities like Rome and Ferenze had restaurants with wood-fired pizza ovens.

Actually, now that I think of it, a pizza maker told me, in Venice in 1996, that in the city they couldn’t use wood-fired ovens. But now I realize that almost any pizzeria I’ve been to in the last N years had wood-fired ovens.
Some law, though, still applies – in theory – to open fireplaces in the homes. Many have installed sealed wood-fired fireplaces and I must say that they’re beautiful. Irony of fate, my in-laws have two children and not long ago, when my nephew Giacomo was six or seven, he accidentally hit the glass of the lit fireplace with an arm, and got a very bad burn…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.