Spotify and Uniti Star kills Spendor A7's

Thanks Chris. Yes I did use airplay. Sorry for the confusion. But for it to not give you a heart attack you should change settings on your iOS device by disabling ‘Change with Buttons’ under Ringer and Alerts in settings. This I only learned afterwards though.
One good thing about Spotify is that when you connect to a device, it starts the volume at zero as default (the connected device).

At the end of the day all I can say is kill Spotify when you leave your home. Or turn your amp to standby.

If you used AirPlay you should have maintained the connection unless there’s an issue with your network.

The ‘change with buttons’ thing is a blunt instrument at the best of times. I find the increments far too great from a single press, never mind if you were to inadvertently press and hold.

Killing Spotify makes sense, but also make sure any other users who have connected their Spotify to your system ‘forget’ it in their Spotify app settings, or they could accidentally access it too.

I don’t think standby mode would be enough, as the streamer remains discoverable over the network (presumably to Spotify, certainly to the Naim app and to AirPlay.) You would need to put it in ‘deep sleep’ mode to be sure.

Yes, it only seems to be a 4 bit resolution with large changes, same using Airplay from an AppleTV to Nova. Control center provides more granularity.

What an awful thing to happen, I feel for you.

The more frequent things I’ve seen are when guests have used your devices and then they manage to play to your system with Spotify inadvertently.

I guess you could disable mobile data for Spotify in the future, but if you joined any wi-fi hotapots away from home that could still be an issue.

I have a few Amazon devices at home and at other family members homes, all on my account, and occasionally stuff plays at other locations when I’d never want it to.

Airplay is potentially awkward at home when you have many shared devices too.

Last time I tried Chromecast it was even worse, and varied hugely between apps. Poor implementation by them, but it would be nice if Naim could exert some control over this to give consistency.

Yes, never got on with Chromecast.

I think the main protection with Spotify would be to set max volume for the streamer to something safer like 50%, but as what is required can vary depending on source, some things might be too quiet.

Sorry to hear about your situation with the Spendors.
I discovered very early on as a result of multiple Spotify users on family account, that mobile access has an Achilles heel when you have careless users around the house. It happens less often now because familiarity reduces the frequency of errors. As far as Chromecast goes, I haven’t re-enabled it after the last factory reset because it’s problematic regarding control and it’s not gapless.
The most useful feature of the Uniti range IMO is the max volume setting. I set this to 50% on speakers and headphones right away because of previous experiences accidental deafening volumes on my previous Arcam miniblink Bluetooth setup. Plenty loud enough for me. Not much use to you right now but I guess forewarned is forearmed for when you get your speakers fixed and avoiding a repeat calamity.

I am wondering if you could configure a shortcut or automation rule on iOS devices that stops Spotify connect music when you are leaving your home or disconnecting from your home network …
Of course not a solution for everybody.

You can order new woofer and tweeter for yor Spendor. Just call their customer support.

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I can understand how this must feel. This is a really serious flaw and needs to be sorted out. There should really be a safeguard feature specified by Naim. Like that the control device needs to be attached to the same network as the player to allow play. It must have been overlooked but I bet it will be fixed in a future update, unfortunately for yourself a little too late.

In response to your comments on Apple Music. I just want to correct a few things. Not to pick your post apart but just to give others the correct info.

Apple Music uses airplay not Bluetooth. Pretty sure this is wifi from the phone. The connected device needs to be on the same network as the player so the same problem will not occur. I often leave the house with something playing if the family are home, forgetting it is playing through AM and as soon as I get to the end of the driveway it cuts out. You can’t connect to an airplay device if you aren’t on the same network.

As for the volume being set to the same as the phone, this is not how AM works. Even if the phone audio is set to 100% airplay connection will set audio volume to the volume setting on the uniti. I have not once encountered the volume issue you described. I just tried it now, ringer volume 100, connected to uniti Atom and audio volume on Music app is 15 from last nights listening.

Maybe it was an issue with a previous version?

1 Like

Naim may or may not be in a position to do so. They are the licensee here and certainly the license comes with with a long specification of how things must work for Spotify Connect certification

Spotify Connect works differently to other streaming services so I’m not sure what Naim could do. Once Spotify is running you have handed over your streamer control to Spotify - I may have exaggerated here slightly :thinking:

1 Like

I’m sure something can be done to fix this. There has to be. Think of all the many expensive systems hooked up with Spotify connect as an option, even if it’s not the first streaming choice for most. It is crazy that this can happen from outside the home and by accident… If it has happened once it’l happen again.

I agree that it’s crazy, I am just not sure that it’s Naim’s to decide. Allegedly we have a basic digital volume control on the streamers just because Apple said so. (If Naim had really wanted one, I suppose it wouldn’t have been half-assed)

This has been a known issue for years, and plenty of people have been irritated by it, not only Naim users, although I suspect physical damage to hardware is rare. If Spotify wanted to fix it they would surely have done so by now.

Just have to get used to muting the amp when away from home.

Surely there must be some sort of overload protection , somehow I managed to get my Nova on max output yesterday - got one helluva fright, and not good for the speakers, me or the cat

There’s a maximum volume setting on the Unitis which you can set to ensure that if the volume does accidentally go to maximum then it won’t go beyond the limits of the speakers.

3 Likes

The simple answer seems to be for Spotify to have an option to disable volume control via the phone buttons surely that’s doable. I don’t think the Naim app uses the physical buttons for volume which is sensible as they have no granularity really

I had the exact opposite problem , my Nova wouldn’t go loud at all, then I was told all about the settings buttons

Made me long for a more traditional approach to volume

1 Like