SQ of CD rip worse than Qobuz stream

Roon as I said

1 Like

This is exactly the case, only your ears can decide, I sometimes have to flick through cd rips to remastered streams to hi res streams to find my best recording, no consistent hierarchy as to which will sound better

It’s possible to check the Qobuz release on Roon and compare to the CD.

As I said I don’t have the CD any more

Listening to Larry Coryell and Billy Cobham’s Spaces Revisited at the moment and, after a brief comparison with the streaming version, finding that my ripped recording is perfect.

You don’t need the CD just check the release on your ripped CD on Roon and do the same with the Qobuz release.

Where exactly is the “release” info. Both 1997 in the case of Spaces

It’s in “Credits” from the album view.

My humble experience is, that local streaming sound quality depends on many different factors, e.g. the CD drive which is used for ripping, the ripping software, the correct software settings - like mentioned before concerning using dbpoweramp - the upnp server software, the server hardware, routers and switches (currently a hot topic in many forums) and at least the quality of the „last meter“ lan cable which connects switch to streaming transport.
Iin my setup, my room and for my (older) ears the CD rips from my Melco N1 still sound slightly better than Qobuz, which has sometimes more separation, but is very often slightly fatiguing during longer hearing sessions - to me. So my preference ist local streaming from dedicated servers, e.g. like Melco, Innous etc.

2 Likes

I see a label and product no. under Credits. The label is the same, the product no. differs by 38 decimals and my version states the US as the country whereas Qobuz doesn’t give a country. Does this tell us anything?

I think it suggests that the two releases are not the same and may explain the SQ difference. There may be more information on the record label’s website.

2 Likes

Every ripper audio device as Melco,Innuos or Naim rippers are much better than using db poweramp software or anything as like.

I don’t have Qobuz in Canada, but my CD rips on my NAS sound a good bit better than Tidal streams, on my system. Maybe with Qobuz, some of my streaming would sound better as well.

It’s what I tried to say Meni.

This is the reason i helped you Dont try…
say!:grinning:

1 Like

I’m not arguing about SQ differences between the ripper brands you mention, but have to say I found no discernible difference with Naim Core compared to dBpoweramp.
But I (& others) have previously commented a CD can sound better/different when ripped with dBpoweramp.

CD is obviously better not different than dBpoweramp in my opinion…but i didn`t notice any changed ripping cd through Innuos or Naim

It seems we have opposite experiences & opinions with dBpoweramp.
As most users on the forum find it faultless in SQ terms, maybe it’s the hardware or software where you made the rip to be a contributing factor.

I think it’s the pc environment

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.