SQ - Roon vs Audiophile NAS (melco/innuous)

Hi Matt,
Yes I used a Nucleus with a internal SSD. I originally had a Naim Uniti Core. When I changed from PMC Twenty5 26 to ATC SCM40A, I sold all my Naim (272, 555PS DR, 300DR and Core). I replaced the Naim with a Auralic Vega G2.1. As I had a Roon Nucleus already, I decided to keep things simple by replacing Core with SSD into Nucleus. I purchased a Melco D100 to do all my rips to the Nucleus. I originally had all the rips on the Core in WAV format. However, with Melco and Roon, these were all in FLAC. I have to report, that for me if there was a difference between the two, it was not great to my ears. I would say that the Naim slightly had the edge on a tonal balance sound quality wise. The major difference I found is the Core will report ripping errors, where as the Melco and Roon does not. Due to the Vega, not being quite right for me, I sold it and the Melco. I have since purchased another Uniti Core and redone all rips in FLAC. Before someone asks what replaced the Vega, I cannot answer that question at this time. :blush:

3 Likes

I have been wondering about this too. Roon (running on a single-purpose 2012 SSD Mac Mini in different part of house) just doesn’t sound as good as using the Naim app directly. Would a Nucleus be better? Am also separately wondering about a potential uplift from swapping out the UnitiCore for a Melco. So, do keep us posted…

1 Like

For me, volume was the driving difference between Roon and Naim app.

New more efficient version of Roon released which reduces processing and increases buffering and caching (primarily for greater stability with slow connections), but will be interesting to see whether this improves SQ…

2 Likes

Watch out if you have more than 7 Sonos outputs as there is a bug. If more than 7 Sonos outputs then no other outputs show up despite showing as enabled.
Workaround is to disable Sonos until less than 7 then other outputs show up.
Roon aware and checking.
Hold on update if you have/need a lot of Sonos outputs.

CK

2 Likes

Exactly my impression too

1 Like

I’ve got Roon running on a PC, and have used a Unitiserve as a mapped drive for the Roon library, and also tried with a SSD on the PC as a Roon library, and compared the sound quality of these to the Unitiserve running its Naim Ap. I would have to say that the US run natively sounds the best - more involving with more drive, and more interest to the music. It’s not a massive difference, but it is worthwhile. The other 2 options sound a bit flat in comparison. It is slightly better with the Roon US mapped drive vs the local SSD drive, but I’m inclined to think that amps, and power supplies, switches and cables are likely to make a more profound change to the sound. Likewise, for elegance’s sake, I am considering a Nucleus too, though am not convinced that it will give me anything more than I have (or any better sound quality), for considerable cost. I do like the look of it however :slight_smile:

Here we go again . . . when you say "Naim app directly, " what server is it using? Because the Naim app directly cannot play from Roon Core.

1 Like

The sceptic in my says it shouldn’t , but I feel it has. I was on the beta for a few weeks and noticed it with my headphone rig, but can’t say I noticed on the Naim rig.

A bit grumpy Bart! Ok, to be clear, with the music files stored on the UnitiCore (as per my profile), I can either play them on my ND555 by using the Naim app or by using Roon. In the former scenario the data flows from the UnitiCore to the ND555. In the latter case, the data flows from the UnitiCore to the Mac Mini acting as the Roon Core to the ND555. I have found that using when Roon in this way the sound quality is not quite as good as when playing the files ‘from the Naim app’. I speculate as to the value - if any - of replacing the Mac Mini with a Nucleus in this context…

Got it. And probably no way to predict what’d happen if you swapped out the Mac Mini for another box on which to run Rune Core.

The Naim UnitiCore certainly has its fans and people like how it sounds as a server. Having lived with a UnitiServe for a number of years, however, I’m happier with the UI etc of Roon and am happy with how it sounds as well running on a Roon Nucleus.

1 Like

Number of endpoints issue with Sonos appears to be sorted in latest release (882)

CK

Melco announced today their new flagship N10 with 5TB HDD or 3.4TB SSD. Melco Audio has launched a new range-topping digital music library, the N10/2. The new two-box flagship is the best-performing Melco music library in the company’s history.

The N10/2 is available in two distinct storage type variants: an HDD version (N10/2-H50, £6,999) plus an SSD version (N10/2-S38, £8,999). The HDD version is a direct replacement for the original N10 and the SSD version replaces the previous SSD flagship, the N1Z/2EX.

The new libraries centre around newly selected HDD and SSD drives: 5 TB in the N10/2-H50 and 3.84 TB in the N10/2-S38; the dedicated drives are hand-picked by the factory to provide exceptional audio performance.

The N10/2 also benefits from a new high-performance PCB, first seen in the limited-edition N10 45th Anniversary Limited Edition (now sold out).

Personally I now believe the sound through the Naim app direcly is better than through Roon directly (or the naim app with roon active). So I have now disconnected the Nucleus from my system, despite the improved library management possibilities. I think much of the negative sound impact is linked to the noise of the original transformer, because just by plugging the Nucleus to a different wall wart than my system and when turned on using the naim app directly, the sound is less crisp. So I’m now considering to buy a linear power supply for the nucleus.

1 Like

Interesting. What’s your source of music w/out the Nucleus? Internet streaming only or do you have a nas that runs a UPNP server?

With the Nucleus – did you have music stored on it that you streamed?

(I’m trying to determine if you’re comparing Qobuz/Tidal both with and without Roon, or locally stored music files both with and without Roon, or both. Or are you comparing locally stored files using Roon vs. Tidal/Qobuz with the Naim app running?)

1 Like

I’ve pretty much abandoned Roon for Innuos, but adding a Sean Jacobs linear power supply did significantly improve the sound quality of my Nucleus.

1 Like

same here ditched roon as went with innuos and its own software as sounded much better than my old NAS and innuos OS sounded better than using ROON on my innuos also

My source is the nd555, only remote streaming, no nas, nothing local…Roon is for me only to “complement” the listening experience and discover new artists or albums…

1 Like

You should find Roon, if set up properly, gives a better sonic performance into your ND555 over direct cloud streaming, essentially Roon is removing much of the noisy heavy lifting away from the ND555 such as https decryption…. as well as decoding FLAC into basic linear PCM as used by RAAT… allowing the streamer to do less work and digital processing per second of sound.

I only use Roon as my front end for my Naim streamer now (got rid of my UPnP server)… it simplifies everything and provides total sonic consistency and quality irrespective of local or cloud streaming…more time to enjoy music rather than worrying about its source or location.

2 Likes

I’m surprised to hear you report that. I was under the impression, that you felt the NDX2 was all the decoupling of front end processing from your external DAC that you needed to get consistent results across the board.

Are you indicating that the processing noise overhead of direct web services outside of Roon still leaves some piggyback noise on the coax to the DAC and therefore it’s analogue stage? Or have I missed something?