SQ - Roon vs Audiophile NAS (melco/innuous)

Yes to 1. use Melco as NAS, and have it’s streamer output connected to the NDS etc.
2. Use a Laptop connected to the network side of the Melco, to run Roon Core, index the library on the Melco, and control playback etc.
3. Logitech Media Server (LMS) is not required - this is a UPnP server, and that function is provided by the Roon Core.
4. You will need the LMS2UPNP program or a UPNP Bridge running somewhere, to present as a Roon endpoint, but serve the stream to the NDS as a UPnP based one.
Either this the LMS2UPNP which runs in Linux (hence on a RPi), or there is a Windows version (https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ifi-bridge-a-upnp-dlna-app-solution-for-playback-on-roon/85864), which could run on the laptop as the same time as the Roon Core.
This would test out Roon Core and the Bridge, accessing the Library on the Melco.

Or build a Pi-based bridge using the LMS2UPnP solution, and maintain that.

Long-term you will need a server based approach to running Roon Core.
Either a device from SGC/Audiostore that runs Roon Core and the Sonore UPnP Bridge in one.
Or a NUC that runs ROCK.

A Nucleus, is a NUC, in a fanless case, pre-built with ROCK, for lots of money (but nothing to do, but plug it in).
Remember your Music Library is still stored and served from the Melco, so you don’t need larger internal discs in the device running Roon Core (just a SSD for the Roon database).

Additional switches are then optimizing your network, pre-Melco, but remember one of the USPs for the Melco devices, is the separate isolated network for the streamer connection.

1 Like

Unless you are planning to stream from Tidal or QoBuz Roon won’t give you an improvement in sound quality over what you have currently. I will give you a better user experience though.

If you have £2500 to spare I’d be saving a bit more and going for a gently used 555DR on the NDS, I know, I’ve already said that already elsewhere!

1 Like

getting a 555 DR is a given at some point :slight_smile:

does ROON not give any improvement to SQ even feeding DSD into the NDS???

the secondary benefit for me after SQ is the interface and and the Quobuz/tidal for new music discovery which i like the integrated option of having

I don’t have any DSD so can’t comment but generally I didn’t notice any difference in sound quality on everything I have tried. I was quite thorough in my auditions as I didn’t want to go to something worse.

What it does give is parity with Tidal/QoBuz vs local streaming making these services a viable alternative to obtaining and storing your music.

I love the Roon interface, it’s music discovery and the aggregating of local and streamed content. This was my reason for changing to Roon.

2 Likes

Well tried and failed to get it working so far
1)installed ROON core on laptop ok
2) set NAS to melco
3) installed iFi bridge on laptop, which states it finds devices and runs ok
4) run ROON with squeezbox selected
5) go to find audio devices and it then takes an eternity (hours to find anything, has only found the devices twice so far and didnt get as far as playing any music…?)

have turned off my firewall for steps 3-5 above but no avail

any ideas what i may be doing wrong?

Does the iFi Bridge work with non iFi products? The Sonore UPnP Bridge works with Naim kit, or the alternative to the Sonore is the LMS2UPNP program.

Edit…there is a short thread on this on here (New way to Roonify legacy streamers) so maybe some of those that did try it may have some advice.

1 Like

took a look no joy with the iFi :frowning:
dowloaded the LMS2UPNP thing don’t even know where/how you start with it via windows, need a numpty guide i think (how or where do you start with it???)

also had chat with audiostore re: https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/MicroRoon_StreamerServer_Limited_Edition/p317978_19996653.aspx

as a hardware alternative

or whether to build a NUC i7 Roon ROCK and a use the sonore upnp bridge

1 Like

Yes its the same as the lms2upnp bridge just packaged better but only runs on Windows.

It’s the same basic app as the Ifi one. What exactly didn’t it do. It worked for me.

it takes an eternity to locate anything so for example ran it 6/7 times today and only once has it found the NDS and to do that it must of searched for an hour ???

May have covered This already but I have heard said multiple times that Roon equalizes the SQ of streamed Qobuz/Tidal to the locally streamed content stored on a NAS.But does it improve it to the level of the local stream or does it bring down the local stream quality to the level of internet streamed Qobuz/Tidal?

1 Like

Is there something else running on your network that is interfering with it? Maybe unplug everything else from your network and see if that helps?

Not sure what your implying but Roon doesn’t equalise anything. Sound the same for local files as Naim app does on UPnP.

1 Like

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/upnpbridge?variant=6964135395362
There is always this, but you’d still need a Core
(what ChrisH posted above)

Sounds like a network issue with UPnP discovery of it take ages. It find all mine very quickly.

any clues what to do about that??? rest of network fine and NDS fine too

Whats your network setup?

Ok thanks that answers my question.

i can see the NDS on windows explorer ok as a streaming device

network is router > switch > orbi wifi (tv/roku/printer/few dreaded powerlines connected to that 1st switch)

2nd switch fed off first 1st switch with lan isolator NDS/Melco/Laptop conntected to this

thx

mat

fed up with software have to say wondering if best building a ROCK NUC and just getting the sonore UPNP Bridge (do they have local UK dealer or just USA?)

also any pointer on building a good ROCK know trickydicky uses this in his NDS setup/system which is nigh on identical to mine bar the 555DR (which am envious of) ; :wink: