Stacking boxes

In fact we found a win win - I am moving the system over to a less visible part of the room (still within reach of the dedicated mains socket!) and we still get the cabinet, which will in fact now become the drinks cabinet :blush:
The slight hiccup is that I need 12m of speaker wire to make that moveā€¦ I guess that will be some nac 5 then :joy:

1 Like

I donā€™t know, but it certainly weighs a lot by todays furniture in standards!!

Sound Advice were my dealer for a while (1993-4), after my previous dealer (RPM in Clapham) went belly up. Fond memories of hauling my boxed up Linn onto the train for Loughborough.

1 Like

I remember, many years ago, Ivor telling me ā€œThe best dealers are those who stay in businessā€.

Sad to say that many of the customerā€™s favourites ran more like a hobby than a business - often stiffing manufacturers (or trying to) when they went bust. I have personal knowledge of at least three who were lauded but unsustainable.

There is a related thread just started - maybe could be good for cross fertilisation of ideas

I recall hearing about a great deal of ill-feeling when RPM imploded. I sometimes wonder where the two partners are now, and what they moved on to.

Hi I was forced to have a single stack for my 500 system in quite a small roomā€¦
I keep all the psuā€™s low - with the 500dr psu being the 1stā€¦then after power supplies its in orderā€¦500dr, 552 head, ND555ā€¦
Sounds mighty fine to me - no doubt a brain and braun solution would be better - but hey I am delighted. I use the Atacama Evoke SE rack which looks good and seems to do the job. I am not that keen on the Frame design from a visual perspective + its very wide - to me it looks well engineered but a bit dated. I have got a spare base so in theory I could do brain and braun if I move things around.

1 Like

So this is where we ended up - stereo in same place but now on fewer levels of black fraim and wiring tidied up so it all sits nicely close to the wall.
My wife is happy, possibly because I really did try to hide the system, but my enthusiasm for how great it sounds right now I think dissuaded her also from pushing the ā€œhide it all awayā€ project and the ā€œOMG it sounds cr@pā€ endless moaning that couldā€™ve ensued :joy:
Thanks again to all who commented so frankly and helped me to see the light.
BTW the ND555 just slotted in for multi rooming ability for a get together last night. As good as the NDS is, the ND555 is really so much more assured. The NDS sounds fantastic with the olive kit though - the ND555 is just a little too energetic and transparent for the older kit, to my ears anyway.
Merry Xmas to all ! :evergreen_tree::partying_face:

5 Likes

Great outcome, the black Fraim looks so much nicer :+1:

1 Like

(part of the deal was that I move LPs downstairsā€¦ the upside is that with some new shelves to house them I now also have some growing room ! :blush: )

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.