Stacking order w/ DAT player

I’m investing in my first Fraim, and have an unusual component going into the stacks: Tascam DA-20 mkII DAT player. I am going to have 2 stacks, and need advice where to put the DAT player. Brain side?
TIA

I now realize why there are so many threads about stacking. It is tricky to figure out, and mistakes will cost a lot of money! Does this look like a good set-up?

Don’t laugh at my drawing =]

The immediate problem you will have is that the Tascam DAT machine is too tall to fit between a standard Fraim level - it would need to be on a top shelf or else have an intermediate or tall shelf above it.

1 Like

I’d be intrigued to know if this is the only DAT player in use on a forum system. With R2Rs rapidly becoming the next big thing, a DAT deck could be the most niche thing one could have in one’s system.

Mark (big fan of all things tape, back in the day)

2 Likes

thanks, I agree Ebor! I just refurbished 2 DAT players and plan on using them in my system for perpetuity. I have so many DAT Masters that I created, and have just recently brought my tape collection out of storage. It’s really fun listening to my DAT collection, especially on this soundsystem.

Do you have a collection of DAT tapes?

I’ve never used an AppleTV, but I suspect that it will be very electrically noisy, as AirPort devices certainly are. I would be looking for a way to keep it as far away from the HiFi rack as possible, and preferably on a different mains circuit too.

I agree, good advice.

There is a clue in ‘I have so many DAT masters’…

I really wouldn’t have a Superline above the massive 555PS. One option is to but the 555 at the bottom to give more space beneath the Superline and another is to put it below the turntable. I’m wondering what’s powering the Superline - is there a box missing?

1 Like

Yes, I have several hundred DAT tapes. Many of them are Masters that I recorded back in the '90s and I’ve had them stored in a spare closet forever. I recently started listening to them, and plan on converting them to a computer soon.

Good idea. I rarely use the AppleTV and it can be removed from the system. I ran a dedicated circuit for the stereo components and will keep this circuit limited to the Naim gear.

Well, I have not invested in the Superline yet. The Superline and a new turntable will be a future purchase. I’m currently using a Pro-ject Debut turntable, and plan on getting rid of it when I get the Fraim. Placement of the turntable on top of Fraim is another point of contention in my mind (versus having a wall-mounted shelf, like Vulkan Tiger Paw).

Wall shelves look pretty ugly to me, but if you’re happy with the idea, and the wall is solid enough to support it, that frees up a top shelf, which is likely the optimum position for the most sensitive boxes, the phono stage in particular.

This listening room is a 2nd floor room above my garage. My house is pretty solid, but I wish the room had a solid slab foundation beneath it. I was thinking a wall mount shelf for the table would be the best place. Is top shelf of 4 levels of Fraim stable enough for turntable?

I used mine on top of 5 levels not all that far from the speaker and have no trouble with feedback but it’s a solid design, I had a suspended deck ( manticore mantra) there briefly while I was setting it up for a friend and my wife couldn’t walk past the rack without it jumping so it depends on the deck and how solid the floor, I wouldn’t use a Linn there and I don’t know about a Rega, a WellTempered Versalex was OK when I had one visit.

I have, on thee clean side

TT (a bamboo and ebony sandwich with cone feet on Fraim chips)
superline
ND555

Which is the best I can manage, the 552 didn’t sound right any lower in the order and the superline improved when I moved it up away from the 500 (I didn’t have the 555 at the time but had removed the CDX2 in readiness for it). I assume the 272 isn’t as fussy as a 552 so would go

TT
superline
Maybe with a space above or below the 500, below would help Burndy dressing but above gives more separation from the pre. Put the DAT on top of the ps stack, and it may need a space below but try and keep the Burndys off the floor, if this becomes a choice you’ll have to experiment.
Leave the Apple TV out of it or at most below the ps.

1 Like

I would think that 4 or 5 levels would be fine. If the wall is solid brick or stone, a wall shelf might be a better bet than the top shelf of a Fraim stack, especially if the suspended floor is not as solid as it could be. Then put the Superline on the top shelf beneath the turntable. As HH says, this will need a power supply which would add another box to the other rack.

1 Like

Here is the cabinet I had built for my DATs. Sometime around 2005 I commissioned a carpenter and he made this slick cabinet. It has MDF walls and heavy af! Each drawer holds about 250 tapes

2 Likes

Excellent & thank you. The floors are hardwoods, and the wall is sheetrock unfortunately. I am going to try the TT on top of Fraim above clean side and start from there.

I’m thinking putting empty standard level below 500 to keep burndy off floor, for starters. I can always move the blank space up to 2nd level. Gulp…I need to massge my credit card to get it ready for this :bomb:

Do you guys like this as my starting point?:

TT
superline
blank level

DAT
supercap 2
555PS
500PS
blank level

Wow great pics what a unique music collection!

Looks slightly better the correct way up. The drawers won’t slam shut now :grin: