Stacking order

Is this a good stacking order?

Am I correct in thinking that this is a good stacking order for my power supplies is based on the box weight, heaviest at the bottom?

SupercapDR

300DRps

555DRps

Above that from the top

Schiit Mjolnir 2 valve head phone amp (has to be on the top to roll the valves)

NDX2 (powered by the 555)

NAC 252

NAP 300

unfortunately due to space it has to be in one stack.

1 Like

I find the ‘noisiest’ supply is the Power Amp, as it is doing a lot more in the system in terms of current-flow and associated electromagnetic noise, followed usually by supplies feeding digital boxes.

That puts the 300PS bottom as I would try it.

DB.

Many thanks I’ll try this and see how it goes.

Schiit Mjolnir 2
NDX2
NAC 252
Supercap
300ps
555ps
NAP 300

I think DB meant for you to put the 300PS on the bottom not the head unit!

Yes definitely put the 300PS on the bottom level not the 300HU.

Yes - the PS units tend to work fine for SQ on the base level, whereas I find the ‘head unit’ boxes like to be off the bottom base level, as they sound a bit dead there.

But the main thing is to have the 300PS away from other boxes if it is an option for you, as I find it opens-up the sound and gives a cleaner bass. The bottom shelf with a spacer shelf or medium level above it works best IMO.

Schiit Mjolnir 2
NDX2
NAC 252
NAP 300
Supercap
555ps
300ps

DB.

I’m negotiation to move a chair to make room for 2 stacks the cost of another level may just swing it!

if unsuccessful are fraim legs available separate in the larger sizes?

You can get a kit via Dealer of just the uprights for Fraim - others have wanted to make the changes and it can be done.

DB.

I have a stacking order question. Right now I have two Fraim stacks.

On the left (top down)
NAC 282 (normal height)
Herron VTPH-2a Phonostage (med height)

On the right (all normal hight, top down)
ND5-XS
HiCap DR
250 DR

The ND5-XS is out for service, and I have a NDX2 in it’s place for audition. Just the unit itself. No external PSU. So I have been thinking whether I should put that on the brain side, or keep it on the brawn side. Thoughts?

Maybe I should swap the HCDR and 250DR also.

My enforced single stack looks like:

CDS3
XPS2
300PS
SC

…following discussions from an earlier forum thread and recommendations on single stacking order. Are we saying that it would be better to swap over the 300PS and SC, and so result in:

CDS3
XPS2
SC
300PS

I thought the SC to be noisier than the 300PS and deserved to thus be bottom of the stack?

Any thoughts on the above gratefully received…

The 282 doesn’t mind a nearby ps nearly as much as a 252 or 552 would so give it a try, just move the top Fraim level from right to left. I found a CDX2 above a 282 was fine, better than the 282 above the CDX2 in a single stack.

1 Like

Thank you. I will try it both ways and see how it sounds.

Maybe also try:
Schiit Mjolnir 2
NDX2
NAC 252
NAP 300
555ps
300ps
Supercap

Logic here being that the 252 is the window on the source and so although 300PS is noisiest, by placing the Supercap at the bottom of the stack it leaves it not sandwiched between 2 power supplies only one.

I would be interested to know how you find the comparison, and if as I did, you favour this stacking order…

1 Like

Set it up as per Darkebear a week or so ago the Mjolnir 2 has shifted sidewayson to the av stack and a hicap’ed headline has ended up in the middle (I do a lot of head phone listening due to sleeping grandchildren) the pmc 25:26 get used most at the weekend (the gc being back with thier parents then). Out of intrest I will try the supercap at the bottom sometime.

Here’s what I’ve ended up with for the time being.

NDX2, phonostage, 282 on the left
250DR, HiCap DR on the right
NAPSC is on floor under the right base

The turntable is on a wall-mounted shelf.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.