Stageline N issue

The short time I spent with my Stageline N showed me that the sound was excellent with the Grado MC + (mono), the Nagaoka MP110 and MP200. This last combination was spectacular in my system. On the other hand, the results were not at all impressive with the Audio-Technica At95e and VM540ml; with these two combinations, the sound was leaner, rather tiring, even a little shrill at times. Web literature reviews may have offered me an explanation: The rather high capacitance of the Stageline vs the maximum capacitance recommended by Audio-Technica. I will probably be shopping for something else so that I can use a wider range of cartridges but it saddens me to give up the clean look of my Naim system (NaitXS, CD5i, Headline, NAPSC, Stageline S & Stageline N) . I will, however, be watching in case I can find another used and affordable Stageline. I used to own a Simaudio Moon LP110, which was an excellent device for the price, but it induced an annoying hum (ground loop?) in my system, probably due to its cheap power supply. My whole Naim system is extremely quiet and I have to turn the volume up to hear an almost imperceptible hiss.

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help me. I will look at what I can do with the device and I will communicate any miracles that may arise in this divine time.

Sad News. But perhaps expected, given what you had already said.
Can we confirm - that your Repairer is approved or authorised by Naim - but Focal-Naim Canada refuses to help themā€¦? Makes no senseā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

If your ā€œrepairerā€ is an authorized Naim dealer, this shouldnā€™t be an issue. Nevertheless, the ā€œRight to Repairā€ movement in the US is a force to be reckoned with. Maybe Focal-Naim feel insulated from this being in Canada, but this could come back to bite them in the rear big time (look at what happened with Apple).

I may be wrong but I donā€™t think it has anything to do with 'Right to repair". From what Martin posted above, it seems it can be repaired but heā€™s been advised that the cost to do so is probably more than the item is worth as it will likely need a complete new PCB.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane - That - to me - suggests the Repairer is not approved - ??

Thatā€™s what I think should be clarified here as it doesnā€™t seem very clear.

1 Like

Martin, letā€™s see if I can help out. Could you let me know who is the Naim dealer thatā€™s undertaking the repair? Iā€™ve messaged you. Thanks, Richard

I picked up my device yesterday and the magic of Christmas seems to have operated until now: when I plugged in my device when I got home, it worked the first time! I promise not to turn off my gear unless lightning strikes around my house. I took the opportunity to listen to the first 6 albums of the Bob Dylan Mono box set :yum:. The repairman even told me before I left that the device was not functional when he put it back in its box. Regarding the repair, I have sent a message to Richard with the details of the companies involved but I am not at the point of wanting to do bad publicity. In short, the repairman being unable to spot the problem would have needed high number of hours of troubleshooting at $ 90 / hour plus parts without warranty to find a solution otherwise I would have to pay for the round trip transportation to Focal-Naim Canada plus the diagnostic costs plus the hourly rate of some $ 70 / hour plus the cost of parts, possibly a new PCB at > $ 400-500 while the device can be bought here in Canada used between $ 350 and $ 500 including the original Snaic5 and sometimes even a Snaic 4 pins to 5 pins.

Santa has indeed a repair Naim agreed center. :grin:

1 Like

ā€œI may be wrong but I donā€™t think it has anything to do with 'Right to repairā€. From what Martin posted above, it seems it can be repaired but heā€™s been advised that the cost to do so is probably more than the item is worth as it will likely need a complete new PCB."

Richard is absolutely right here and he sums it up very well; I want to apologize for my very limited English but it is a second language for me ā€¦

Well, an intermittent issue like this could be a cold solder joint (it could be a component but I think the connection is more likely). You would need to take out the PCB and look at the solder connections on the bottom. Look for a dull grey/oxidized joint vs a nice shiny silver joint. If there arenā€™t any, then youā€™re probably looking at a lengthy component search.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.