Stageline S resistance

I’m in the process of scoping out phono stages for my Rega Ania (MC 100 ohm). I’ve got a line a decent priced stageline S but it looks like an impedance mismatch. Is it feasible/desirable to modify or should I just be looking at something else. Options in terms of stock availability are pretty limited here on NZ at the moment so it’s really down to either a Rega phono MC or the stageline. An Aria would be double the price of a stageline + the cost of an interconnect so it’s probably not an option.

Any thoughts on this dilemma much appreciated…

It should be fine just as it is. Try it and see.

I assumed it would probably be ok, just cant demo first, unfortunately. Cheers for the advice

I use a Stageline S with my P6 & Ania. It needed a hicap to really shine though so you may want to factor that into the equation. Previously I powered it from the aux socket of my nac202. It was pretty good but much better with the hi cap.

I recently had an extended home demo of a graham slee accession MC and that beat the stageline hands down.
Hard to give it back. I too have a hankering for a rega aria.

I was interested in one of these but ended up with a deal on an ex-demo Trichord Diablo and NCPSU that I couldn’t refuse.

How did you find it? Which power supply were you using? What else have you tried?
It’s a really competetive price point for phono stages.

That is the only demo I have managed as there is a loan system set up with the distributor. Over here in oz getting a home demo of anything is next to impossible. Just doesn’t seem to interest the dealers. Any Australian dealers listening who are willing to home demo feel free to call me a liar.
Wider presentation and much easier to hear the start and end of notes without being fatiguing. I wasn’t sure about timing out of the box but after a night warming up it was great the next morning.
I used the standard psu that comes with it but the dealer reckons the enigma psu upgrade adds a lot.

1 Like

I like graham Slee stuff generally, I have a headphone amp I brought out from the UK with me but you just never see it for sale here or its absolute moonbeams money (ironic coming from a Naim owner LOL). The difference in cost between Stageline and an Aria would get me into P8 (currently have a P6) so its hard to justify as a good use of $2000 bucks.

I’ll be running the Stageline via a NAC202 if a go ahead with it so my experience will be similar to yours I guess. The other main contender here would be the Dyna vector P75 which is usually stocked as they are made locally.

It’s a funny thing but I was completely happy with the stageline until I swapped my NDX for an NDX2. Previously the vinyl replay had been better than digital but once I got the ndx2 I couldn’t stomach the stageline until I put a hicap on it.

I’m sure there is a lesson there somewhere.

1 Like

When digital starts beating vinyl it’s time to upgrade the vinyl. It needs to be worth the trouble.

Indeed. With the stage line/hicap the digital was better. It was evens stevens with the accession, some things better on digital, some better on vinyl.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.