Standmounts for Uniti Nova

I use S40s with a Nova and consider them to be a superb match.
I auditioned the other makes you have mentioned but found the S40s to be more dynamic and engaging.
Funnily enough it was after a second audition that I fully appreciated how good the S40s were. They also improve with time.

Hi John,
Well many thanks for your insight.
May I ask what speakers did you have before the S40s and what may be the “minus”/drawback points of the S40s if you find they have any at all?
One thing that mu friend and I agree upon is that they sound “natural”, don’t know how to put that but…they sound natural when played through a Star. Which makes me think that the Atom won’t be the best amp to drive them.

The S40s definitely sound better driven by the Nova rather than the Atom. I used to own B&W speakers with an Arcam 2:1 system.
Then I bought a Mu- So which has led to a Nova.
Like you I found the S40s neutral but also more dynamic when the volume was upped. My room measures 5m x7m and played at 40 to 45 they sound very involving. Pumped up to 60 they still sound detailed and very good. They struck me as having a better all round sound than anything else I listened to up to the £4K mark.

Interesting indeed, that you came from a B&W speakers.
Did you hear the 805 D3 ? if yes how would it compare Vs. the S40s.
Always difficult to sort truth from the “I don’t stock it so it’s sh*t” when it comes to a dealer judging a speaker and its all a very subjective thing, but the dealer I went to observed that the 805 D3 had a shortened low-end. I found that weird.
Also, I must confess that so far, I had so far never consider having Dynaudio no matter the range or price, it may sound silly but that’s down to aesthetic appeal only. They just seemed to me so much understated. I know one shall not judge just from appearance when it comes to speakers. But at the time I was buying the PM1s, first thing that stroke me was how gorgeous they look before even hearing them. Once I heard them, I absolutely loved how they sound. As explained earlier, beauty is in the eye of the owner but aesthetic is as important to me as how it sounds.

So something just did not appeal to me when I looked at Dynaudio’s ranges, be it the recent releases or the older speakers, I guess this explains why I did not give them a shot until last week end.
I know it may sound wrong but I also consider speakers as furniture and it has to sound and looks beautiful. In this regard, I found the S40s more attractive than previous Dynaudio’s design, even though still understated. That’s a personal opinion though, so no offense to the ones who love that design

In my opinion the S40’s are over hyped, I had a pair with a Nova and they disappointed me after a few weeks. I suspect a beefier amp might have helped though. My advice would be to home audition other speakers too before you decide and don’t be swayed by looks alone. Obviously a lot depends on your room and musical tastes aswell

Absolutely, and I just get a call from the dealer, would pick the S40s on friday eve’.
“Overhype” is the problem with all these online reviews, there’s too much information available.
We’ll see what happens with the Atom, but my quest to replace the beloved PM1s just starts it seems. I don’t want to make a mistake I’ll regret. And in the meantime, the PM1s are still singing beautifully.

I owned the special 40’s when they first came out, had them for about six months (grey) . I used them with 272/Xpsdr/250DR, and they did their job OK, but like a few have mentioned, the did not really WOW me. I did not consider them an end game speaker, more of a stepping stone, so I moved on. I ended up with Sopra 1’s next, which cost a lot more, and were considerably better. I have since moved on from them, still searching for the perfect fit for me and my gear/room. I also used to own Dyn Focus 160’s and C1’s, and really am interested in the new Dyn Confidence 20’s. I am eagerly awaiting the reviews to start coming out on the C20’s, in the meantime I am just gradually upgrading my electronics.

Hi I’m enjoying my 805D3 with my Nova. When I bought them I had a small Listening room and speaker were a little too near the wall, have since moved to a larger house and can give them more space and they sound better.
I wouldn’t change them.

I initially wanted floor standing speakers but my wife didn’t like them she fell in love with these and although we’re more money I wasn’t going to complain.
Maybe try auditioning subs with them but not sure can see a Hifi dealer visit in future.

I am rather surprised that there hasnt been numerous posts on here to warn you against the B&Ws. It seems to be the general opinion in this forum that B&W speakers are too bright for Naim. In fact the least liked two brands on here are the B&W and Focal.

1 Like

Sorry to hijack this thread a little… I am looking to review a Nova with Klipsch Forte III speakers. I have a nova driving very old Audiovectors and need to upgrade.

Am I wasting my time looking for a dealer with some klipsch speakers? Anyone heard this combination.

It’s only because of the rave reviews of the Forte and the fact that they apparently behave well at low volumes.

@ThomasD - how did you go with the Nova + Forte III’s? I’m considering an NDX+SN2+Forte III combo but struggling to find any posts on recent Naim gear with recent Klipsch gear to see if it is worth considering.

Hi Dunc,

Sorry I have not had a chance yet… But you have prompted me to find a dealer. I want to check them out. Please let me know how you get on.

Well, I personally love the 805D3 B&Ws on Naim gear. But quite frankly these speakers are too good for the likes of the Nova. I have a set of Prestige Edition 805D3s connected to my system (NDX2/252/SCDR/300DR) and they sound absolutely superb.

The balance between the diamond tweeter and the continuum main driver is so well judged. Situated on their correct stands, properly positioned and properly powered with a big hearted amp and hi quality source these things can really sing.

The highs are real, the mids, especially in vocals, sax, piano etc are so emotional, forward but not unrealistically so. The timing imparted by a big Naim amp is so impressive.

And the bass… well I do not know why anyone thinks that a subwoofer is needed for the 805D3 if they are properly positioned and driven properly… the sub bass is again real with beautifully judged weight.

This is a 5K speaker that needs / demands much better than a 4K integrated frankly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.