Statement Considerations

A garage is for keeping a loud motorcycle in so you can annoy the blighters properly. (I’m just about to strobe time something with straight through “Conti” silencers in front of mine.)

1 Like

You’ll be setting off every car alarm in the street!

My panther 600 used to do that just riding past them, hardly ever happens with the twin.

2 Likes

The garage problem is the height of the ceiling. Not best for sound quality.

It does - the S1 Pre has a far lower noise-floor than the 552.
Listening with volume low does not lose dynamic scale and there is more low-level detail compared to 552 is what I found.
But I home-demoed mine - and it never left. :bear:

DB.

4 Likes

Dunc - I seem to recall you once writing on this forum that your system with the Rossini in it probably sounded so good because of your 552.

Or did I dream that? :grinning:

This may have been the post I was thinking of?

"Got to say glad its [your 552] back, turned the rossini back to 6volts output and the volume back to 0.0, and it sounds utterly fantastic, its early days yet, as it needs to burn in, but its easily the best it has sounded with the rossini, its so much more dramatic and dynamic, the bass is just lovely and the extra width it has now, as you can tell a very happy chappy.

Naim did find a fault with my 552, unity gain had no output on ch2, so full service and update.
Plus the ps is now DRed.

Dont know how long my 552 had been going wrong, but it has never sounded this good, and its certainly a wake up call for getting them serviced, my 552 had never been done and was well past its service, so if you are in the same situation on service times, do yourself a favour and get it done.

Thanks Naim, you have certainly breathed new life back i to the 552."

It doesn’t read like he’s saying that. It reads like post-service, the 552 is the best it’s sounded since having the Rossini. Different meaning.

Dunc was mainly signing the praises of the 552 after that service in that quote.

And also saying how well it paired with his Rossini.

But actually the post I was thinking of was another one where he directly said (if I recall correctly) that he thought the 552 was probably making his system (inc. Rossini) sound so good.

But I don’t have time to find that quote. :grinning:

The original post. I feel Jim is relatively right.

*19d . DUNC: *

« I have run my 500dr direct from my rossini when my 552 went off to be serviced, I made up 2 cables to do this and used this set up for about 5 weeks.
To start with it worked fine, but it didn’t have the same sound as with the pre amp, it lost some dynamic performance and didn’t sparkle quite the same.
Now if I didn’t have the pre or had heard what they do together, then I could have easily lived with the sound in blissful unknown harmony, but I did know and couldn’t wait to get it back.

My advice would be, if you don’t want to run a pre amp, go and buy something other than a naim power amp, lots of great amps that will work on their own to choose from »

As I have said many times now.
If you only have the rossini, so don’t need more inputs.
Using a naim amp directly connected to it is not the best way, naim power amps need naim pre amps.
But if you are looking for a new pre amp and maybe then a better power amp to go with it to use with a rossini, then you should look at other options as I feel you can do away with the pre amp, lots of power amps that the dCS guys use and lots of info on ot all if you look, but true balanced just for starters is what you want, then it’s a case of matching it all up to what you like and want.

But my 552 was poorly and once it was serviced and DRed, obviously it sounds better, plus it ment I could run my rossini at 6 volts and 0.0 dB, which I think sounds best for dynamics, but due to the volume differences its hard to be certain on that

2 Likes

Where did you get a rca → weird Naim XLR? Naim doesn’t offer one afaik. Is I custom? Which cable do you recommend?

I believe the Chord Co. makes those @Katzky2021 , e.g.:

1 Like

Hi DB the OP is asking if the NAP 300 is good enough to pair the S1 with … surely not. You’re active 500s … big difference

I had some silver wired xlr’s to din, ones that can be used to connect 300 and 500 power amp, I just cut the din off and soldered some rca’s on, very easy to do

Sean Jacobs of CHC cables in the UK could make you a RCA to Naim wired XLR cable. He’s in the UK but they ship to the USA.

Sean is well known for his power supply designs but makes good cable from what I have heard.

I really wouldn’t bother wasting your money on some, as tried it and it’s not as good.
Either keep naim pre and power or get a different power amp only

Home demos do seem to have that effect, recurring occurrence :grinning:

1 Like

It is a big difference and in context of my system it was an obvious silly upgrade.

I’ve heard it demonstrated at my Dealer swapping-out the 552 in a 552DR-500DR system for S1-500DR Passive - and that was an obvious huge upgrade with very addictive music-making.

Also did 552DR-300DR to S1-300DR - and it gave a large portion of the S1-500DR system.
I mean that the S1-300DR was enormously better than the 552DR-500DR system - no real comparison.

Silly price but it does show what the Pre was still limiting the 300DR.

I used to think that 552-500 was well-matched pair - but with DR versions I found the 500DR performance greatly raised and the 300DR was now a fair-matched system with 552DR.
But the next upgrade - once the Source is settled - could well be considered the S1 Pre rather than to 500DR with the 552DR.
But that is huge outlay and you really need a demo - and funds to hand before the demo!

I’d prefer S1Pre-300DR over 552DR-500DR by a large margin - but a lot more outlay to get that.

Yes - S1 Pre - 500DR is superb - and Active 3x500DR is …nice. :wink:

…and no - I’ll never afford Active S1 Monoblocks! - and I have compared Passive full Statement vs hybrid-Active S1Pre-3x500DR and do prefer the latter, for me.

DB.

7 Likes

My S1 is being shipped to my dealer Acoustica before the end of the week. Install probably next week. Exciting times!

17 Likes

Many congratulations :relaxed: