Statement disappointment

I will find out from him what the party is… As for the streaming question, I have an NDX sitting idle, switched off in my stack that I would loan you for testing out, I won’t sell it but would send it off for a few months to a friendly naimer. Seems like you are good in that streaming dept though.

Scott

2 Likes

Hey Peter! Steve Sells showing up at my door is quite the image! One could only hope!!! As to the rekindling of my initial thread, “500 vs. Statement” I would be glad to share my early, but developing, experiences. Just a quick one for now…very late last night (around 2 AM) I played a 45RPM version of Willie Nelson’s “Stardust” LP. What a beautiful sound it was. The immediacy of his voice and guitar both soothed and demanded attention simultaneously, a rare feat.

2 Likes

It is kind of ironic how so many threads contain comments that the record-out buttons are obsolete in this day and age - and even that they make the 282/252/552 ugly and hence undesirable - as well as bemoaning the additional costs associated with retaining them…

5 Likes

I will find out from him what the party is… As for the streaming question, I have an NDX sitting idle, switched off in my stack that I would loan you for testing out, I won’t sell it but would send it off for a few months to a friendly naimer. Seems like you are good in that streaming dept though.

Hey Scott, thanks for your very generous offer of the loaned streamer, but as you say, I’ve got that covered. I do like the idea of a streamer. Clearly it provides an additional, valuable service, though I would never replace my Revox. Perhaps in the future I will acquire one. I hear great things about the ND555. Damn! I thought I was finally finished with upgrading!!!

That’s exactly how I would describe an enjoyable HiFi system.

Sometimes I close my eyes in the middle of concerto, don’t really fall asleep, but follow the concerto in some kind of alternative consciousness.

That is the kind of relaxing pleasure the 500 series + Magico system has been offering.

And with a Statement amplification… :star_struck:

2 Likes

I certainly questioned it, and got my answers on this Topic

I certainly used that bottom row of buttons on my 252 and later on my 552 regularly as I recorded onto my Revox. And by the way, I have always thought those buttons looked cool, never ugly, especially when they are lit up.

2 Likes

Totally unrelated to my own thread, but anyone who loves music MUST watch the 8 minute short film made by Chris Bell honoring Art Dudley and the concept of listening. Check out the thread on this forum entitled, “My Short Film”. I just viewed it for the second time and reacted just as strongly as to my initial viewing.

6 Likes

Seconding the suggestion to watch Chris Bells video

…Ohh Thomas, the little mind is running away with you again :wink::rofl: Best Peter

1 Like

Mitch, you are not alone in your dilemma. Then Editor of HIFI Critic Paul Messenger found himself in the same situation after buying an S1. He wrote about it in Vol9 No4, Oct-Dec 2015.
Not sure how or if he got around it.
I grew up on the Island, will let you know if I ever make it back to share a wee dram!

1 Like

Agree with you Mitch I have nac 252 and I like the look of it when lit up with two rows of buttons. How can anyone call the 282,252,552 ugly :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: There is plenty of ugly hifi out there certainly not Naim

3 Likes

@Mitch , you can contact Paul Messenger via Hificritic contact.

2 Likes

Very interesting! I’ll look into it. And absolutely come by for a visit and a wee dram, or 3.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I just reached out to the magazine. Hopefully, someone will get back to me.

In the meantime, I’m also awaiting a return call from Jason Gould as well as some ideas from Steve Sells before I try some of the solutions suggested by Forum members.

You guys have been awesome!!!

Mitch

3 Likes

Exactly, those talking about ‘sound quality’ are missing the point… a good R2R is an analogue signal processor and can modify the audio in an attractive way just like vinyl does…

2 Likes

You might have something in common:

3 Likes

That’s VERY COOL!!!

I live on Long Island
Huge parties? Guess I was not on guest list :wink:

1 Like

Better actually!:sunglasses:

1 Like