Statement disappointment

Personally, but we are all different and I am not Mitch, if I had something like the R2R, I would use it specially to play master tapes. Some say it’s the ultimate source.
But if it’s only for background music, I would buy instead a little streamer, like Bluesound node or Naim Nd5xs2, and play playlists from it, without all the fuss of recording.

1 Like

I used by switching for a while then finally bought the third one:) so nd555 is dobule, cd555 is single

I don’t see my self buying the forth:)

1 Like

Among a tiny group on a Forum - compared to the many units we’ve sold worldwide. No issues with my ND555 (if there were, i’d give the software team hell!!)

6 Likes

Reel to reels look cool, especially when running and if running at top speed with a master tape recording, they can sound lovely.
But if you are just recording cd’s and vinyl, for back ground music, then streaming would be far easier and offer a sound quality to match the reel to reel I should think.
But I can see the attraction of the reel to reel

2 Likes

Hi @Naim.Marketing ,

As I understand it, @litemotiv wasn’t referring to “issues” but rather to changes in sound profile/quality between firmware releases.

This is something I’ve experienced myself and was reported by a small number of forum members.

The better the amplification/speakers are the more those changes are audible.

The non-significant number of reports, regarding changes in sound, doesn’t imply there aren’t.

Of course, the vast majority of Naim costumers don’t spend time reporting such things on forums, or don’t even know there is a Naim forum.

As for the ND555 issues/problems related to firmware, I’m afraid there is at least one that remains unsolved and potentially affects all NDxxx streamers : the random reboots.

ATB
Thomas

1 Like

Naim products always benefit from continuous improvement. Normally existing owners only benefit when they send a unit in for a service and wiring loom changes etc. can be implemented. In the case of the ND555, it’s great that we can benefit from these improvements free of charge and at the touch of button. I for one am certainly not complaining.

3 Likes

Athens Georgia. Never been to Long Island, so that would be great. I have a friend that goes back to visit to see family a few times a year. He also goes to a huge party that happens only on weekends or once a year at some outdoor venue. Guess it’s been going on for decades. Well known. If he goes up, maybe I will tag along and make it a dual trip, his friends and family are on Long Island.

Do you have any streaming products right now Mitch? Anything to test?

Scott

1 Like

Absolutely! And regarding the ND555 in particular, the sonic benefits provided by the firmwares 3.4, 3.5 and now 3.6 are very much welcome.

Of course, other brands, provide the same software improvements.

@Thomas has a point though that a number of ND555 owners do report these kinds of changes quite often on the forums. It’s possible that the majority of them are actually very happy with their devices, but the recurring mentions about the varying sound signature per firmware release does give the impression to other visitors that the ND555 is not particularly stable or predictable in this area, which would obviously be a concern.

Naim has always been careful to make any definitive statements about this, which is understandable, although most official communication seems to suggest that these sound changes should not be as significant as may sometimes be suggested. This would obviously be a good thing, and my instinct would also expect this to be the case.

I personally cannot verify the validity of these reports, but they would make me more hesitant to consider a ND555 since sound stability/predictability is one of the most important things to me when selecting equipment. I wouldn’t want to live with a device that could significantly change in sound stage, bass/treble reproduction or other noticeable areas by each new firmware release.

Hopefully ND555 owners who are otherwise very pleased with their devices are aware of the effect these discussions may have on the overall perception of the equipment.

I am confident most ND555 users are simply busy enjoying music. :slight_smile:

Anyway, going back on topic @Mitch, I have spoken to our Technical Director, Steve Sells. Re the lack of recording options on S1, and he said:
“We designed it as the ultimate sounding pre-amplifier. We took out everything that could have had a detrimental effect on sound quality.”

This aligns with our recommendations with our other pre-amps, eg NAC552 that you mute the Record Out if you’re not using it, to maximise sound quality.

HOWEVER, Steve is a big Revox fan himself, so he understands your pain. There may just be something we can do in terms of customisation - no promises, but in Steve’s words: “Nothing is impossible on Statement.”

I’ll talk to him more on Monday, and keep in touch!

26 Likes

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

IIRC, no one mentioned changes in “sound signature”. Or we should define what “sound signature” means.

Considering the hardware itself and the reconstruction filters didn’t change, in my opinion, it is far stretched to state the ND555’s sound signature did change.

In terms of changes, what I perceived is more related to enhancements, like a possible lower noise floor, etc. which is very much enjoyable.

It is the same ND555, the same sound signature, simply better in audiophile terms, if I may say so.

2 Likes

Well Mitch, the amount of help here is astounding. Next thing is you’ll have Steve Sells knocking on your door- jack under one arm, toolkit under other :+1:t3::rofl:
Any chance of rekindling the ‘500 vs Statement’ thread and possibly describe, what you are experiencing at this fairly early point please? :pray: ATB Peter

7 Likes

This is the response that will keep me buying, servicing and upgrading with Naim kit. ( As well as the excellent sound quality of course)

11 Likes

@Mitch I concur with Peter, I would be very much interested on your feelings and impressions regarding the Statement vs 500 series amplification :smiley:

3 Likes

Perhaps some of the updates on the ND555 are a result of some very well respected forum members who have gone in another direction for their source. This includes Bartok, DcS, MQA, Chord Dave, Rossini, Linn, whose ears perceived enough of a difference and preference to move in those directions. I applaud Naim for attempting to keep current with the technology and SQ/SP(sound preference).

3 Likes

Why are some members now discussing firmware update issues on an entirely different product than Mitch is talking about?

3 Likes

I don’t think that these firmware issues discussions will encourage Mitch to buy a streamer :laughing:

5 Likes

I’ve never had a firmware update cause a deterioration in sound, just perceptible changes.

1 Like

Frankly David. Mitch invested a very huge amount on the Statement, and had previously 500 series and still classic series.
How someone could imagine when buying the top Naim pre that it will lack the record functionality. It’s difficult to imagine.
He made obviously the error of not checking before, but honestly this lack of record functionality was really very difficult to predict.
He is complaining, it’s normal. Everyone can make an error.
But you choose to respond him that he should have read the description from page 1 to 50 before buying it, and that you already do that each time.
I understand in that context that Mitch choose to respond in a sarcastic way.

2 Likes

Yawn…
Look…Mitch will speak further with Mr Sells…he will probably not enter the world of streaming…and next time he buys a food mixer, will no doubt read and reread the paperwork.
He will also continue to enjoy his scotch hoard.
Can we move on ?

2 Likes