Step into digital or not?

What do you mean by ‘made up’? It’s in the Oxford dictionary. I first heard it in a line in aTom Waits song, ‘a rare and a copacetic gift’.

Can we leave these syncopated comments behind and focus on the actual topic at hand??

1 Like

Its origin is uncertain, but most seem to think that Irving Bacheller invented the word, spelled “copasetic”, for a fictional character with a private vocabulary in his 1919 book about Abraham Lincoln in Illinois, “A Man for the Ages”.
The presence of a word in the Oxford dictionary doesn’t mean anything other than that it is in use. It seems mainly to be used by Americans, rarely here in the UK.

Dire Straits sound so much better on a turntable. I would not bother with all that remasters.
Get a MOFI 45 rpm one step, you will pay 100 euros, but no other version will surpass that.

1 Like

I thought the earlier suggestion to get a second-hand streamer/DAC was a rather good one, and Bluesound Node seems to be a good place to start (though I have no first-hand experience with Bluesound).

This would allow exploring the streaming format – it might change your listening habits for the better (with a Qobuz or Tidal subscription), or you might find it doesn’t add anything… If the latter, sell the preloved streamer/DAC with little or no loss; or if the former, we can explore your options – either add a more refined DAC to your streamer (including the Naim DAC or the Chord offerings, for instance) or look into Naim’s streamers.

1 Like

Thank you. It’s been killing me no one mentioned the NDX2. That will be where I go on my second system (unless a shower of money falls and I get the ND555…)

Well…considering this is my home’s postal number maybe fate is making a statement?

2 Likes

Have you heard the SACD versions? They are a lot cheaper than €100 for the vinyl!

(And if ripped they have the added benefit of not deteriorating time, especially if ripped to a backed up store, so even damage is fully recoverable!)

2 Likes

I have tried the hires 24/192 . Was so far away of the original lp Dire Straits I have. The 45 pm MOFI is a good step above the original lp. So the gulf is so big with the hires that I don’t see how a DSD or SACD version could fill the gap.
But of course, I didn’t heard it via Mr Dave….which can change all considerations :joy:

You only managed to get one DS song into your post, must try harder FR!

Dire Straits / Dire Straits. if you prefer

Filling out gaps in my collection after I turned to streaming I discovered the 20th anniversary sdition of Love over gold which was quite stunning sound quality. I haven’t heard any other version for many years and have no real idea how the original LPs sound, only having heard in other people’s houses some years previously (I didn’t like what I heard enough to buy back in the 70s/80s).

Not! Okay I will admit to a dilemma on this. My Xerxes stays, but CD/streaming is another issue. I’ve had a Qb in my kitchen for 3 years now with a Tidal account and yes it’s great for random playing, sampling new stuff and logic sort of says put a streamer in my main system.

BUT my CDS3 sounds so absolutely fantastic I’ve never heard a streaming source that gets near it for dynamics, those textures and nuances that make classical music so special I’m sure I’d regret it if I let it go.

And CD is so simple, put in tray, press play😁.

Regards,

Lindsay

PS: And R3 on the Nat 05 kills the internet version.

2 Likes

I think I mentioned in another thread, the most influential recent hifi purchase I made has been a Mk 1 UnitiQute. I have listened to loads of new music as a result of that, and as a result spent more time listening to music. I’ve also bought more CDs and vinyl of the artists I particularly like. Listening to an artist’s back catalog, in temporal order, is fascinating! And enjoyable!!

Dipping your toe in with a Bluesound Node, or ND5 XS, or a mk1 Hugo you can run your phone through, might all be interesting and relatively cheap (all about 5-600 GBP) options. You’d also mostly receive your money back if you subsequently sold them on.

Yes Naim transports go very well with Chord DACs… there is a lot about it in the Chord DAC thread in the Streaming section. It’s a valuable resource for those wanting to use Naim with Chord… a good synergy.
Which ever way you want to go this web site is a good resource of enthusiasts passionate about music and their Hi-Fi typically with Naim in it somewhere… and thanks to Naim it is not narrowly limited to Naim unlike some other short sighted vendors out there… enjoy.

Oh about that… :grimacing:

1 Like

I agree, though better than no streamer!

1 Like

I have an issue here - I don’t know where my CD 3.5 is!

Current thoughts:

In the attic.

Was in the attic but builders nicked it (as I couldn’t find it last time I was up there).

In a locked filing cabinet in a storage unit - I’ve lost the key :man_facepalming: :scream_cat:

1 Like

Dear FR,

I do own all the Mofi series for these Dire Straits albums. Though I have yet to play them. I was too nervous to use them though I expect that is what they are intended for.

Thank you,

Mitch.

2 Likes

Dear IB,

No I have not heard SACD versions, it is a mental sticking point that I have staying with the NAIM brand. Brand loyalty for the sake of Better audio. I also like the look of the only Naim equipment green lighting in my media TV stand. Pleasing aesthetics have my hands tied for the cost of my ears.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

FR, I own the original Dire Straits album. I also own it on DSD, which I play with my Teac PD-501-HR. Playing the record on my (now sold) Rega RP-10 was in no way better than the DSD version to my ears.
The DSD is every bit as engaging, with no pops or clicks.:grinning:

1 Like