Still crackling vinyl

I highly recommend the Clearaudio Double Matrix Pro record cleaning machine with the Clearaudio cleaning fluid. It is a very expensive solution to record noise of all sorts, but the key word is “solution”. Of course, The Great Dane is correct when stating there is nothing to be done to repair damaged grooves. The machine cleans and vacuums both sides simultaneously, including reversing directions several times during the cycle. that help to remove stubborn dirt from the grooves. Additionally, there are both standard (3) settings and a customizing option which controls not only the length of time the record is being cleaned but also the speed in which it spins on the platter. It also happens to be built like a tank!

1 Like

Damaged records cannot be fixed with cleaning solutions or machine, but sometimes you can get residue caked into the grooves, and then you might need a combination of an enzymatic soak and an ultrasonic machine like a Kirmuss.

I have an old 70s copy of CSNY Deja Vu that sounded very noisy. It took a cleaning in my Audio Desk Pro AS cleaner, plus an extended routine though my Kirmuss AS cleaner to restore, but it cleaned up pretty well. However, that’s an exception rather than the rule with noisy s/h records. Many just have damage for various reasons.

Once upon a time there was a fad for playing LPs ‘wet’. It could make a noisy LP much less noisy. Only problem was, once you did this then the LP had to always be played wet thereafter. If you subsequently played it dry then the noise and crackling increased markedly.

Pleased to say a definite improvement! Using more fluid foaming it etc that’s even with the distilled water I have. Will order APC which seems to be cheaper ordered from them. Thanks again. All progress!

1 Like

There is a technique not for the faint of heart
white wood glue spread over the playing surface
leave for two days
peel off it dries clear like a skin

I’ve found it can make a huge improvement
try it on a less liked vinyl first

I have one or two records I’m considering a bit of PVA action on.
So, is it just a matter of pouring the PVA glue on ( one side at a time), working into the groove as best you can, leaving to dry, then peeling off?

yes more or less old credit card good
careful not to leave a gap theres the hazard as it can dry hard in a clump

sure theres youtube video

You MUST be joking!

The PVA method can be effective bit it is risky. Leave even the most minuscule bit behind in the groove and it can easily take out the stylus or even the cantilever.

As PVA is water solvable, then it’ll be worth giving the cleaned record a final scrub in the RCM to minimise any risk.

Lencoclean!! Remember using that in '70’s. Much to my regret afterwards. Worked pretty well but as you say,use it one time and your stuck with it.

I’ve heard of that before, but it seems extremely risky for getting water inside the cartridge body by capillary action from the cantilever.

agreed i use my old rega with changeable headshell and cheap cartridge to test
but when it works its good

o ye of little faith

Tru dat! But seriously…you actually put glue ON your records to clean them. Me thinks there are better ways!

try it on old scratchy clicky disc

Then play first with a cheap cartridge with a replaceable stylus. Shame I gave that ProJect Debut to Oxfam.

Just got the VCS-2 ALU, and it really does do a fine job. The spindle motor is noisy though, makes a grumbling noisy, can anyone comment if they have one that does the same? I’ve checked other places but they are all going on about the vacuum noise which is to be expected.

Yes, mine rumbles too.

1 Like

Yup, mine too - it’s the gearing, so I’m told.

1 Like