Stillpoints and other Disc-Pucks..Opinions

Stillpoints

• Description from the manufacturer below…

“LP-Isolator (LPI).
The LPI slips over the spindle of your turntable,.and rests on the label portion of the LP.
The LPI absorbs the micro vibrations that are present at the label area,.and makes the reproduction clearer, cleaner, more delicate, more open, and lifelike.
The LPI Short Spindle is compatible with many turntables.
The LPI Long Spindle works with turntables that incorporate a longer than average spindle.”

Musings…

A disc-puck like this above,I don’t think works on an LP12,.but I’ve never tried so I don’t know.
But depending on how an LP12 is designed,.so is a disc-puck probably not an optimal solution to that turntable.

• But a friend who is hifi-distributor (and has an LP12),.says that this Stillpoints disc-puck as you see in the picture.
Yes,.it contributes to better soundquality on Technics top-notch turntable SL-1000R.

Another friend,.who has had LP12 since 1986,always in top-notch versions.
He has this spring switched to a Technics SL-1000R,.and is very happy with that turntable.
He shall now start evaluating various disc-pucks for this Technics SL-1000R.
And therefore I thought I’d hear here,.if any of you have any experience with these products.

So,.feel free to share all the thoughts that you have about these products,.because I personally have never tried,or evaluated these products.

/Peder🙂

I have Stillpoints under my 552 pre-amp, 555CD head unit, Superline phono stage and B/W 802 D3 speakers. Logically the boxes would be on a Naim Frame but my better half insists on them being either placed on or hidden in a cabinet.
Do they make a difference? Well yes they do, the speakers being the most to benifit.
The downside is they are not cheap but not expensive in the overall system cost.
My dealer is not a fan of a disc puck on an LP12. May be a different story with the new Karousel bearing?
Do not mislay the puck to the CD555. The last price from Naim a few years ago was nearly £300.

1 Like

I guess it’s an asking of your cableholic friend, am I right ?
I have no idea how that stillpoint will perform.
However, when reading sometimes reviews on high end decks, the HRS is very often cited as one of the best.

2 Likes

Oyaide…

IMG_0234 (2)
• This above is Oyaide’s version of their disc-puck.
It has my friend already tried on his Technics SL-1000R,.this without any major change in soundquality.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

For any suspended design, it would both change the geometry of the setup ang the manufacturer’s designed resonant frequencies. In any TT, bearing wear will be increased. This is the mechanics, but experimentation will determine what effects on Sonics.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,…No,.it’s not Mr.Cableoholic.

This is another friend in the group,and as I got to know in 1993,.we have very close contact.
He has always had Linn’s best active top-notch Klimax systems,.always on latest spec.

Me and my friend the hifi-distributor (which I mentioned in my first post).
Yes we thought he was crazy,.when he started talking about replacing his LP12 with a direct-driven Technics turntable.
But later,.my friend the hifi-distributor listened to this direct-driven Technics SL-1000R,at one of his retailers,.and could only conclude that it sounds incredibly good.

This picture below,.is when my friend got home his new Technics SL-1000R turntable.
It is a hefty transport-box,.it is needed,for the turntable with powersupply is very heavy.

The Box…

But Frenchrooster,.your tip about these HRS-pucks is interesting,we take that with us among the candidates of disc-pucks.

:small_blue_diamond:@Douglas,…Thank you for your thoughts on this.

1. Well I know Stillpoints have a good reputation,.so it will be interesting to evaluate their disc-puck.

2. As I wrote earlier,.I share this opinion.
    An LP12 has another design-idea,.where a disc-puck would not be an optimal solution.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Furutech monza

1 Like

Synergetic Research

I have an HRS puck. It won’t work with an Aro as the headshell hits the side of it at the end of a record.
I’m now using a Schröder on an Artemis SA-1, the HRS puck is usable but robs some of the vitality compared to the little delrin puck that came with the deck, which itself is an improvement over no puck at all. The HRS puck could conceivably be of benefit with some combinations if there’s too much energy staying in the disc. It’s a case of try it and see.

3 Likes

The player…

Here is my friend assembling his new turntable. It is on this that we will evaluate disc-pucks.

Technics SL-1000R weighs 43 kg,.only the disc plate weighs 8kg.
The terminal block is made from a large aluminum block.

The turntable comes without Tonarms-shell, Tonarms-cable and of course without Cartridge. This is not included in the price,.which is in Sweden,in today’s currency-rate…
• £17047.
• €19040.

/Peder🙂

4 Likes

I took delivery of my Technics SL-1000R about a month ago and am very happy with it. The only change I have made is to replace the supplied rubber mat with a cork-rubber mat which I think improves the separation between instruments. I have not tried a puck so look forward to the results from Peder.

The transport case is a useful piece of furniture. Makes a great coffee table.

1 Like

Beautifully engineered machine. Nice !

1 Like

That thing is a tank. Nice.

1 Like

It is a superbly engineered plug and play instrument. Weighs what feels like a ton. Assembled it is a two man lift. It plays in the most satisfying way. Vinyl has never sounded so good.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.