Stock arrival for ND5 XS2

19 weeks seems very very long indeed. Or maybe you live outside Europe ?

So with a 19 plus lead time, and say a component or two that they are waiting for, what do naim do?
Wait to start the build when the items are in stock, or build what they can, store the semi built devices and wait for the component to come into stock?
Either way they have a backlog and parts going nowhere.
And if they have part built, work in progress nd5xs2s, where do they store them?

No, I am in the UK

And dealer have phoned Naim ?

Classic production control problem, JIT process would be to stop production whereas in the old days WIP and inventory costs would just start piling up, and what do you with affected production staff? Manufacturing companies hold little stock these days as far as I know, so no buffer if the supply chain fails.

1 Like

Which I guess is the right answer. But once naim get stock ( the missing bits and the items they have easy JIT access to), they then have to crack on an get a load of nd5xs2s built.

Yes, I always felt JIT system was fragile and especially put on a lot of pressure on small manufacturers when competing with bigger companies and their suppliers added to this complex logistics, never ending stream of deliveries and resulting costs and pollution.
When I was in this business another complication was the variability of the yield of certain semiconductors, this was from TI so never sure about delivery schedules.

Don’t worry, we’re ready once the key component arrives. One of the many advantages of hand-crafted production is we can switch to different product sets as needed - it’s not a case of a massive production-line change. The long lead times do take into account the back orders we have on our system.

3 Likes

Beat you… I’m on 20 weeks today, dealer has no idea when it will arrive.

:sob:

1 Like

So, looks like I’m in the very beginning :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.