Stoked about my room treatments

I see…

How can I put a comment without ‘reply’ part?

Hi Strah,

Unfortunately I haven’t found a way to make that specific - it’s just an oddity of this forum system! :unamused:

Indeed, thank you for the input. I didn’t realized this before…

A problem room is a problem room - and room treatment can be very far from fine tuning, but can fundamentally change how it sounds. Some speakers can be more tolerent of a poor room due to different radiation characteristics, but negative effects like reflections muddying the sound will be there to some extent whatever the speaker, albeit that speakers with a narrower dispersion pattern may cause less reflections depending where the reflective surfaces are located. Likewise things like ‘suckout’ due to openings, and long reverberation decay will still be there regardless of speaker. You could choose a speaker with curtailed bass response so as to avoid triggering resonances, and not notice cancellations - but then you won’t hear the low bass at the intended relative level.

The reality is that few people treat their rooms, yet many rooms will sound less good than they would if treated. I think the OP is doing exactly the right thing treating his room, and with the assistance of GIK there is every reason to thing the outcome will be good, and he can enjoy the speakers he clearly loves.

In my view only if there is still a problem after treatment should he possibly consider changing the speakers as a last resort - and the treatment will help ensure that any alternatives sound as good as they can.

3 Likes

Great feedback, thanks everyone you really have me thinking.

I’ve never worked with room treatments so this is all new to me. Hell, this is my first real soundsystem so all of this is new to me. I purchased each of these room treatments with a specific place in mind for them in the room to be mounted, but time will tell how each affects the room. The first treatments I added were the ceiling treatments, and there was a noticeable, positive difference. I did not mount all of the ceiling treatments…I still have some extras that can go up if needed. I need more experience listening to the room, and the effect of adding each panel. I’ll be installing some panels, then sending sound clips off to GIK for testing.

Is there a preferred method to installing them? Given my photos and what I’m working with, any suggestions on where to install panels first?

For the MDF doors, I have two panels for each door. But I fear this will do nothing for the resonance of the door.

For the bar area, I was going to mount three (3) square panels in the angled ceiling above the sink. And I was going to put two (2) rectangle panels in the angled ceiling above the Ween poster.

TIA

Before any sound treatment we can clerly establish that this room leans towrds more dead than live. Reflections in room this big will be shorter than required 5ms so they will afect the sound in negative manner like mixing with the direct sound. And all of that with the speaker that exceed much information to cope with the reflectio n and that means more interefereanig information. Focal speakers are excellent speakers but they are very affected by the floor so put the spike first and find good/excellent footers if you need them. They also need to be in wider than average postion like they are at the picture. 1st reflection of the floor arr covered with the carpet and top instalation although I would put something different at the top. Side reflections should be diffused but there is a problem with a bar. The best was wife’s advice to put the curtain. Nontheless it will still be a problem because this speaker is too reveiling and needs much space. And top end will never shine like it possibly could.
At the end, you invested much in the room to spoil it with such instalations all over the room. It is easier to find the speaker that fit the room. And it is cheaper.
I would go that way. It is easy to order the home demo of some speakers I suppose…

That apparently is not what the measurements indicated:

Assuming that the OP took appropriate measurements, as would be likely if he was guided by GIK, their assessment would seem to me a good basis on which to proceed. Certainly when I was assessing my own room, After sending some measurements to GIK they came back with requests for additional measurements, and their resultant recommendations made every sense to me.

jared has some panels now, to install and assess further under the guidance of GIK. (And he did say he can’t audition speakers at home.)

H[quote=“Innocent_Bystander, post:32, topic:3520”]
And he did say he can’t audition speakers at home.)
[/quote]

He said that he didn’t,not that he can’t.

This is offical production description of the manufacturer for Kanta No.3

And this for Sopra No.2

So these are the speakers lesser than Scala. Make your own conclusion. That part of ringing is clearly due that niche…

I auditioned the Sopra 2, Sopra 3, and Kanta 3. Also a few Wilson speakers. I do not have high end audio stores in Memphis, so I really do not have access to demo speakers in my hometown. I flew to NYC and visited a handful of hi-fi stores, and auditioned a bunch of speakers before deciding on the Scala V2s. I got these Scalas used, along with my Naim components. Sadly, my decision was made without listening to ANY of those speakers in my own room. I realize the demise this may have caused, and some call me a “fool with his money”. At this point I’ve invested in what I have, so it’s time to do work, and get with GIK on running some tests.

EgglestonWorks is local. So is Halford. Perhaps after I get treatments situated I will try to get some demos in-house to compare other speakers. Hell that sounds like fun!

2 Likes

No, that is the right attitude. The money is yours and you can do whatever you want with it. After all, it suppose to be fun and if you enjoy, that is all that matter. Small progress is still a progress.

But you have three kings of Memphis : MLK, B.B.King and Elvis (of course)!

1 Like

Well, the actual words were “My problem was not being to audition anything in my own home…”, which I took to mean “not being able” as the only thing that fits, the word “able” accidentally omitted.

Honest mistake

Fair enough! I wasn’t seeking to criticise, but to explain why I had considered this differently (that and my own experiencecwith a particularly problematic room).

The main resonance is at 60Hz, the alcove will give a resonance at about 120Hz-130Hz, clearly the 60Hz is a primary room mode not the alcove.

Yes, probably, but then that shelf behind the sofa don’t impact the sound at all. 60Hz gives aprox. 18,7 ft wavelenght so that doesn’t strictly correlate to the room measurment. Since the room area nearly a squre then the best is to apply golden ratio.

20x17 ft is not a square room!
The fundamental resonances would be about 28 and 33 Hz The first harmonic would be 56 and 66Hz, so on the waterfall chart these may well appear combined, centred around 61Hz. (Added to which there is the height fundamental resonance ~70Hz)

I presume that GIK also recommended bass traps?

When I looked into my room, because it is not a plain rectangular room I sent them a floor plan with furniture sketched in, and photos of each wall, as well as several REW measurement files Their recommendations were pretty thorough - including where exactly it would be best to position various different types of panel.