Storm Eunice

21 Likes

Usually the phone and 4G can fill in, so long as the nearest beacon isn’t taken out.

Take care people. We had a big storm last Saturday night and though I’d prepared, I was still up at 5am retrieving things during the worst of it.

1 Like

Very good

1 Like

Yep mines all off in case of surges it intermittent outages

So far so good. Nothing out the ordinary - about 25 mph so far.

Today my order of a Joan Baez CD and a couple of other smaller items will be delivered , and I ask myself is it really necessary for the likes of Amazon workers to be out today .

My old insurance head is thinking - any injury could be claimed as employer’s liability

The only time you don’t want an upgrade, Amber to Red !!!

Going to bed last night it was Amber, woke this morning to find out we’re now in the Red warning area………

1 Like

Living in Brighton in 87 we got severely battered. My house despite a power cut was ok, I slept through much of the night and didn’t realise the storm had been so bad when I left for work, slightly late due to oversleeping as my alarm hadn’t gone off. My car ended up with a cracked windscreen which I initially put down to vandalism, leaving home I soon realised it wasn’t vandalism. Driving through the centre of town and then along the A259 coast road to Seaford where I worked back then, the devastation was shocking with loads of trees down and lots of building badly damaged. However, within 36 hours everything was pretty much back to normal in Brighton for most people, for some though, the damage to houses took months to repair. My parents, who live in rural Sussex were completely cut off, roads blocked by hundreds of fallen trees and they were without power for 2 weeks. Fortunately, their oil boiler still heated hot water without power and a wood-burning stove kept a couple of rooms warm and they had a camping stove to cook on.

2 Likes

Stay safe, stay snug

1 Like

Supposed to be getting 80mph winds and heavy rain all day here.

So braced a couple of nervous bits of garden buildings and furniture yesterday as some extra defence.

It is very breezy and we’ve just had some rain for an hour but it’s blue skies now in Cambridgeshire and as I type this, even the wind has dropped. It’s either the calm before the storm or it’s missed us!

Good luck, stay safe and keep us informed.

Managed to get home from near Bury st Edmunds very early this morning, counting ourselves lucky we had not gone to the Cotswolds…a few hours away. Orwell bridge was closed when we were on the A14 at 7 am this morning. Tied down a few bits in the garden…….hope for the best🤞🏽

1 Like

So far so good in Devon this morning. The trees are fine, but the crocuses have been flattened.

2 Likes

Thats encouraging

1 Like

Quite windy just north of bristol atm but nowhere near as bad as i expected… Secured my pots last night to avoid them flying about!

On the positive side, forum Scots must be heaving a sigh of relief for once :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m at my mum’s, where I was in 1987. I remember wandering up the road to the tube with a hangover, and two trees had blown down on the road. Hopefully not as severe here today, but my friend and I have cancelled our dinner engagement tonight.

1 Like

Just watched some birds flying backwards. I thought only hummingbirds could do that…

3 Likes

I lived opposite a park in Bristol in 87, loads of trees came down, but don’t panic no hurricane here lads!!