Strange missing files problem

I have been faced with a problem today which I can’t explain. I loaded as normal today some files on my external disk which is connected to the Melco and made the usual Melco MinimServer Scan,…however some albums show up and some others are missing. As it is random it’s difficult to understand for me. When checking the drive everything is there …, so I am missing the point now why they don’t show up…

1. Limitations as my number of files is too high…
  2. A broken database on the server
    I cannot belief bad sectors as I deleted and recouped the files on the disc…

Makes me concerned and by the way also concerned as I tried all the usual tricks I could think off.

Would be happy with any tips on fixing the problem…

Just put some of these files on a stick and tried to play them from the usb, while they show up they don’t play…
So it starts to look like another Qobuz issue,…, I will research further tomorrow…

Delete and re-do yourself the metadata and see if that fixes it. Some servers don’t like some characters, and there could be something in the metadata that’s causing the issue. Sometimes it’s even a non-visible character; so best to just delete it all and add it back yourself.

Just found the problem, another software bug of those f… i… at Qobuz. Some files for some strange reason are being downloaded in the wrong format. So will have to find out how I get them properly downloaded tomorrow and re-tag it all. No fun, no fun at all.
In the meanwhile I am having almost bi-weekly issues with them, I am close to switch even though they are cheaper…

If they are in a standard music format (flac, wav, etc) you could just convert to your desired format rather than re-download.

Let’s see how I fix it. I am a bit concerned that the conversion might introduce unwanted artifacts.

If you got the files from Qobuz, take a look at the metadata. I’ve found they have been a disaster in recent times; I first noticed about a year or so back, I bought a WAV format album & it didn’t show on the iPad. I quickly found it had no metadata included, all the tags were empty.
I was able to fix it easily & I e-mailed them, not to complain but a helpful hey guys you need to look out advisory. The reply was brusque almost insulting telling me WAV cannot include metadata & I was wrong in my diagnosis ( oh well, it seems the many Qobuz I purchased over the previous years that all included metadata are in my imagination ) I’ve purchased some more since, still no metadata, then I changed to FLAC & converted to WAV. The FLAC’s had metadata OK, but each had something missing or errors in the tags. I now avoid Qobuz if possible.

BertBird, converting codec does not add artefacts

I am just using them as they are significantly cheaper. The downloading experience is however horrible. Structure of downloads, tags, software seldomly working, downloads not working at all, wrong file formats and on top not helpful support staff. Always the standard answer that you are the problem or that you can select another album, never fixing things. And after the issues also not removing the album for other customers.

As said, they are cheaper otherwise I would not drag myself through this mess…

Just made the count 13 out of 20 downloads are wrong, I am sure if I write them they will again point the finger at me…

1 Like

I would probably have switched from Tidal to Qobuz some time ago, but this is typical of their service in my experience, so I didn’t bother.

I am just with the, for the lower download prices, otherwise I would do have left them long ago, and I am anyhow considering leaving them, their is a limit to the level of issues I am able to endure.
It’s already a sign that I am happy if a download works without issues.

I have never found a problem with HighResAudio (.de). Metadata is faultless, none of the very_annoying_underscored_stuff, & they always include an Artist folder with the Album folder inside. Nothing anywhere needs editing.
They don’t offer much codec choice these days & seem to no longer sell WAV, just FLAC in PCM but dBpoweramp does an excellent job converting. They have a few DSD as well.
Additionally they are close to Qobuz on pricing (outside of Sublime) & frequently lower priced than any of the www vendors

Nothing to be worried about, at all!

I fixed it by redownloading, cumbersome but it worked…, still very very angry with them…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.