Strange network problem, or just a network novice’s stupidity?

I have my NAS, TV, BluRay player, and 272 all part of a wired network in my living room they are all connected via a switch to a wall faceplate which connects back to the router in another room.
Recently, randomly the 272 stops streaming, and the TV won’t stream BBC iplayer, so I assume there’s an internet problem. But no, everything seems fine in the rest of the house. I turn everything off and on again and usually that doesn’t fix the items in the living room. Then suddenly everything will start working again.
I have noticed that when these interruptions happen, all the AV items in the living room also drop off the WiFi, and that the 272 won’t see the NAS, (I tested using the buttons on the front of the 272). All the items continue to function perfectly individually, but just don’t see each other for a while, and then all of a sudden everything goes back to normal.
While I have these problems in the living room, my bedroom Muso will work fine except that it won’t connect to the NAS (which is in the living room). Computers and WiFi elsewhere all work fine too.
Usually the outage is for less than an hour. The random nature is the most confusing aspect.
It’s a problem without an apparent culprit. I would really appreciate any ideas from anyone who might be blue to help troubleshoot this.

Have you rebooted the router?

Thanks Mike. Yes. Completely rebooted the whole system right back to the router. No joy. Outages seem completely random, nothing I try works, and then the network seems to fix itself, independent of anything I do.

Very frustrating, I’m sure. All I can suggest is powering everything off and unplugging everything. Then restart just the router until it’s booted, then the switch, then the boxes. Good luck.

2 Likes

Is there a bad connection somewhere? Have you checked the faceplate wiring internally, or the ethernet cable twixt switch and wall?

3 Likes

Thanks Robert. I hadn’t thought about that. I know the cable between the switch and wall works, as I tried it elsewhere. But the wiring at the faceplate or in the wall could be at fault, but I have no idea how to test that. But the fact that everything comes back after a while might suggest the wiring’s ok? It’s all been working for a good couple of years anyway.

Hmm couple of years suggests it should be ok, I mean it’s odd it has I assume recently become flakey. One thing you could try if the distance isn’t awkward would be to connect the switch to the router via a longer cable (eg I have a 20m belkin lead that’s long enough for our house from 1 room to another). If the issue is still there, then the internal wiring is I would think ok. Wondering if it’s the switch that’s become temperamental?

You would need a long length of Ethernet cable and run it from the router to the switch to determine if that works better than the section of cabling through the wall.

Snap!

1 Like

First, I’d try unplugging the switch and re-powering after doing the same with the router. Otherwise you may have to try a new switch, which could improve SQ anyway :sunglasses:

1 Like

The other option, is if you have a window handy. Open it. Throw the switch out of the window. Smile. Have a beer.

1 Like

Thanks gents. I don’t have a long enough cable right now, but that’s certainly something I can buy and try it next time the outage happens to see if it makes a difference. Thanks both!

1 Like

Haha, yes Mike. My poor iPad has taken a bit of a beating in frustration. A beer certainly would have been a better option.
I currently have an ND555 on order, so I certainly hope I have not got a network problem that’s hard to fix or that’ll feel like a lot of wasted money.

I have a SOtM switch with a separate power supply. I don’t talk too much about it for fear of being mocked, especially as I know bugger all about computers and networking.

2 Likes

What’s this?

This looks like a probable cause to be eliminated - a friend experienced exactly this intermittent working and eventually traced it down to a poor Ethernet contact wired into his wall loom.

Bypass with a long Ethernet run to a local switch will confirm if it then all begins to work right and then you can replace the faulty Ethernet or chop and re-terminate it to fresh connectors.

DB.

1 Like

SOtM is a manufacturer of audio stuff, based in Korea I think, and they have an Ethernet network switch enigmatically called the sNH-10G. I thought it made a big improvement. But I guess it doesn’t fix faulty wires in the wall.

1 Like

Thanks DB. I’ll get a long wire and try it out next time there’s a failure. Makes sense as it seems to be a localised issue, but as I live in a rented flat, it’s a bit of a bitch to fiddle with the landlord’s wiring. But thank you!

Could a background task on your NAS be hogging resources? Have you logged into you control panel to see if all is well. Perhaps trying stopping and starting you uPnP app.

1 Like

As suggested above sounds like a loose or bad wire connection, it could but unlikely to be a fault with the current switch such as a dry joint.
If you had or could borrow a managed switch like a 2960 which many seem to have on this forum… you should be able to isolate pretty quickly through its switches management diagnostics, assuming the culprit is directly connected to the switch.
After all this is one of the main advantages of using a managed switch… not tinkering for SQ :grinning:

Very occasionally my managed switches have reported a bad physical Ethernet connection…which I have then either replaced or fixed.

1 Like