Strange new bug on my Nova

My Nova seems to be possessed by a new bug. It automatically turns on at random hours of the day or night and everytime it plays exactly the same song which is shown on the pictures below. The song seems to play through Spotify through the Naim app. However, The Naim app on my mobile is not on and neither is the Spotify?? This is very weird. Anyone can suggest what I can do to fix the issue please?

Have you, or anyone else, ever used Spotify on the Nova before? The way Spotify Connect works means that a user can connect to a device in future without being in the same location. The solution is to find the culprit, and get them to tell their Spotify app to ‘forget’ your Nova.

Or to reset the Nova to factory settings, which will break the Spotify connection.

Or presumably you could disable the Spotify input on the Nova, which should also stop it happening, but if you use Spotify on the Nova, this might not be an attractive approach to solving the problem.

Best

David

Agree, when my son starts his spotify from his home (some 40 kilometers from where I live) my Atom turns on and starts playing his music. When he recognizes that he hears no sound he fixes things and my Atom goes quiet again. :joy:

We have the Spotify Family package wich gives us 5 accounts. Me, my son and my partner have an account each and my brother in law (who lives a few miles away in his house) has one account. Three of us in the household use Spotify with the Nova. I assume that my brother in law does not have access to our Nova just because he has an account from our Spotify family package??

This has happened abotu 3 times now and each time it is exactly the same song that comes on. On two ocassions the Nova turned on by itself and on one ocassion I was listening to Radio Paradise and it switched to this song through Spotify by itself.

Yes this is because someone with a Spotify account has tried to play that song in their Spotify app, while it’s still pointed at your Nova. As mentioned this can happen even if that person isn’t on your network. Not a Nova fault, this will happen with any device that supports Spotify Connect.

There’s a setting in the app for ‘only show local devices’ which is disabled by default.

It’s a terrible feature and I can’t for the life of me figure out why it exists, other than to blow up your friend’s speakers by cranking it to full volume because they’ve annoyed you.

You should do a factory reset on the Nova as suggested to remove all previously connected Spotify devices, and switch to Tidal at HiFi quality or Qobuz if available in your country, they’ll have the benefit of sounding better too. And never let anyone connect their Spotify to it!

I just had a look in the app - I assume you refer to the Naim app - and I was not able to find such a setting. However, I was able to log out the Spotify user that was previously connected, which must have been my son as he is the only Spotify user who ever connected to my Atom. Maybe this works for you as well.

I was able to find the logout Spotify user option by navigating to inputs in the Naim app and then go to Spotify.

The setting is in the Spotify app, as it’s a Spotify Connect related setting.

Yes this is because someone with a Spotify account has tried to play that song in their Spotify app, while it’s still pointed at your Nova.

Well the only one I can think of is my brother in law. After this song came on I switched the Nova off and then when I switched it back on it came on at full volume. At the time I thought it was a bug but now it makes sense. When the other person tried to play this song on their phone and it didnt play (because it was playing on my Nova without them knowing) they must have thought their phone volume was off so have turned it on full blast which in fact has just turned the sound up on my Nova instead.

As mentioned this can happen even if that person isn’t on your network. Not a Nova fault, this will happen with any device that supports Spotify Connect.

It is strange because my brother in law hasnt been around here in a long time and I dont understand why their phone would display the Nova on the list of their devices when they are at their house??

There’s a setting in the app for ‘only show local devices’ which is disabled by default.

It’s a terrible feature and I can’t for the life of me figure out why it exists, other than to blow up your friend’s speakers by cranking it to full volume because they’ve annoyed you.

I have enabled this setting on Spotify. Would it resolve the issue?

You should do a factory reset on the Nova as suggested to remove all previously connected Spotify devices, and switch to Tidal at HiFi quality or Qobuz if available in your country, they’ll have the benefit of sounding better too. And never let anyone connect their Spotify to it!

I dont particularly want to move from Spotify because I have quite a few albums saved there as well as playlists. Plus I believe Tidal and Qobuz are more expensive. And they have nowhere near as good algorithms.

If you think you have identified the Spotify user who is inadvertently causing this problem, you need to ask them to correct it on their Spotify app. You can’t do it from your end.

Well, it is not my brother in law after all. The Nova came on again yesterday and I text him and he said that he was at work and not playing any music at all.

It isn’t any of us three in the house either.

This is getting very strange indeed. I have performed a factory reset so will see if this resolves the problem.

Stupid question maybe, but you bought your Nova new out of the box? Not second hand and not a demo device?

Let’s hope the factory reset solves the issue.

It was an ex demo purchase but I have had it for 1 year and I have never had this problem until the past few days.

So theoretically someone could have tried Spotify Connect in the past when using your (then demo) Nova, decided not to use Spotify since then and might just have recently decided to try Spotify again (on another device) but had the app on the phone or tablet still pointing at your Nova.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.