Strange problem with my SN and remote control

Has anyone heard of this problem with their Supernait or any Naim preamp? As soon as you press on a remote control in the room, it can be any remote, a normal TV remote or the Naim remote, the two mute buttons on front panel are illuminated and I hear a pop sound from my speakers, kind of like when you just turn on the preamp. This will last 20 seconds then you can hear music, but as soon as you press the remote again, even if you just want to change the volume, the SN got muted again for another 20 seconds and you also can hear the pop sound again from the speakers. Maybe I need to send my SN to Naim to check, but does anyone know about this issue?

Iā€™ve not heard of this. Did you try restarting your SuperNait (take power off wait 20 secs and put the power on again)?
Best
David

1 Like

I have heard about this, not experienced myself & it was a long time ago. I vaguely remember it that it was the non-Naim remote, maybe it was one of the no brand do it all remotes that you can get, rather than ā€˜theā€™ remote that came with the TV.
Maybe someone has a better memory than me, maybe there is something in the old forum archives, I canā€™t look until I return home on Saturday.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard of certain remotes affecting Naim kit - there were certain PVRs that encroached on Naimā€™s RC5 codes. The Sky+ remote used to lock up the old NAC52. And of course some of the cheap ā€œdo it allā€ remotes can send out all kinds of spurious stuff if youā€™re not careful.

I would do a hard power cycle and then reset the Supernait back to default. If you do that, is all well when you use the Naim remote?

1 Like

Yes I restarted the SN but the problem still happens

Thanks for the advice I will do a hard start see if that works. And the only thing change in my system is I added Naim DAC few days ago and I have the DAC linked to my SN remote, wondering if that affect the SNā€¦

Are you plugged in to the correct jack sockets for the remote link? (Out on the DAC)

You might want to try redoing the remote control link setup procedure to see if that helps.

1 Like

there is only a 5 pin Din cable between the DAC and SN, the remote link is done by the remote control selecting the pre input 1 from SN linked to the DAC remote ( SN manual # 3.1 Remote Control Link). I redo the remote link but it didnā€™t help. I turned off, unplugged the power cable from both SN and DAC, waited a night and turned them back on, but it didnā€™t help. Is there a different way to cold reset the SN? I tried holding the prog + pre buttons but it didnā€™t work, is that the combination key for a reset?

Ah, ok, I thought you might have a remote cable connection - I wondered of that was the issue.

Reset to default is to go into program mode then press and hold DISP and then exit program mode.

1 Like

The remote of my NAC 282 and the remote of my Rega Brio-R share some commands or signals. For example, both remotes can mute/unmute and control the volume of either amplifier.

I found this out the hard way when I selected an input on the Brio. I had not realised that the Brio volume control had been turned up high by the Naim remote when both systems were installed in the same room to compare various amplifier, streamer, DAC and speaker combinations.

Suffice to say, it is astonishing how loud a Brio-R and Spendor S3/5R2 combination can play. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to activate a mute button before I caused any damage to the speakers or my ears, terrified our cats and woke up our neighbours.

I hope your issue is only caused by a similar but mismatched commonality between various remote control commands.

David

1 Like

If it were me, I would uninstall the Naim DAC and see whether the remote control now operates the SN properly, because a key question must be whether the SN is at fault or whether the addition of the Naim DAC is itself implicated in the issue.

Best

David

1 Like

Not sure if this is of any help? I am using a 252 and early last year I purchased a DAC V1 to use as a headphone am.

The dealer reconfigured the RC codes on the DAC V1 remote so that it would not interfere with the 252 codes.

Might be worth making some enquires.

1 Like

not sure what exactly I did, but I think the problem is fixed now. At first I couldnā€™t even use the control to do prog+disp to reset because any key press will trigger the SN mute/restart mode, I keep trying still no luck, then I think, maybe I should turn off the Naim DAC, it still trigger the SN when I press the remote, but somehow, the more I tried, the less it trigger the SN, I finally I was able finish the reset process using remote as Richard told me, and the problem seems gone without the DAC. Then I turn on DAC, finger crossed, yes, the SN wonā€™t go to mute/restart mode anymore when I press on the Naim remote or any other remote in the room. And I still can use the 7,8,9,0 to control the input from DAC. I must mess with the SN when I tried to link the DAC input to SN the other day, so happy to have the problem solved. Thanks Richard and everyone!

1 Like

Looks like I got a new problem, my SN refuse to play anything from the DAC, it was playing fine before even when it was having the remote control problem. I still can use the SN remote to pick the input from DAC by press 7,8,9,0, and the Sync light is on on the DAC front panel, and I tried different preamp input in SN for the DAC to connect to, but still doing the same. The SN itself is fine, I directly connect my CD transport to SN and it plays fine.

Which input are you connected to? Maybe needs to have the input re-mapped if itā€™s not a default one.

I use input 1, but I noticed when I select 1 from the DAC, the input 1 on the SN front panel didnā€™t respond, should it blink? And since there is a 5 pin Din cable between DAC and SN (input 1), it should still play the music coming from DAC regardless the mapping, correct?

By default on SN input 1 should correspond to the CD button.

Ah, so sounds like now something not right in the mapping, the SN doesnā€™t recognize the signal coming from DAC?

Did you have the softkey set to PRE when you did the reset? Try it again.

Yes, press pre key on SN -> hold 1 and 2 on DAC -> select 1 (no response on SN front panel) -> hold 1 and 2 to confirm.