Strange volume increase NAC 252

Now I get what you are saying, but I don’t think the Narcom buttons ever worked that way.

I believe the CD etc buttons on the Narcom just switch to different IR commands, but it all worked over direct IR from the Narcom to these units (CD player etc), not via the system automation cable in the direction from pre to CD, for instance. The CD could send a signal to the pre, though, IIRC to switch input

I could be wrong though.

You may well be right, maybe @Richard.Dane would know? Easy enough to test I suppose, but I no longer have a separate Naim preamp.

And I have no source but the NDX2 anymore :slight_smile:

I had an incident where the ir remote for my arcam550 changed the volume on my nap252. Been more careful since

It’s without question that IR remotes can change the 252 volume if they happen to send this IR code. The magic in this thread’s case is that something apparently also started playing on the NDX2 in addition to raising the volume

Yup. Saw that. Two things at once make it a trickier question for sure. I cannot remember exactly, but I think that when I hit the AVR remote it a) changed the input on the 252 and b) changed the volume setting. So if the NDX2 happened to be on but the 252 was set to a different input, then the other remote might make a difference. But now I know I have to be very careful with other remotes.

Sure, anything IR can change whatever the 252 can change by IR, including the input. If the NDX2 was playing all along, it would simplify the possible causes, but the OP seemed pretty sure that this was not the case, that’s all I can go by :slight_smile:

Pretty sure as you say, that the stream was paused. The bizarre thing was that the app would not respond to mute or decrease volume commands. Fortunately no damage and all performing well now. Obviously it would be good to know what the cause was, but it may be that I never do. Just very strange!

I had the same volume issue with my 282 this evening. Volume up at 2 o’clock and blasting. Haven’t moved so fast to the amp in my life! No obvious cause and the 282 had previously been used on AV input from my Arcam 550. System automation is enabled and working.
When looking for reasons after calming down, there wasn’t anything on top of the Arcam remote so this wasn’t to blame. Checked others Spotify settings and nothing obvious. Decided to disable spotify but not sure if this will help. Rather worrying.
Any indication that Naim have heard of this before?

Yes, it’s hard to react calmly and quickly when faced with that degree of of noise. I haven’t had any problems since that one incident and there is no damage. Hopefully none in your case. We’re you also using the app on an Apple device?

1 Like

The ND5XS2 started playing on its own as well?

1 Like

Not good……

1 Like

Before Spotify, the most common cause of ghostly volume control behaviour was down to an RC5 remote control that had slid down the side of a sofa or chair and the weight of someone sitting on the sofa or chair would then press the buttons.

Also we found that there are a number of devices that sometimes used codes that they shouldn’t have done that conflicted with RC5 codes. And low voltage lighting or certain types of plasma screen in close proximity have been known to sometimes cause weird behaviour.

As for Arcam, I think they also use the RC5 protocol. There are different code sets you can usually choose if you find a conflict with another RC5 device. Naim used a different code for the AV volume. Arcam should allow you to change this too. I would check with them.

1 Like

After the event I checked all of the remote controls in the vicinty. Nothing appeared to affect the system in any way. The most concerning thing was that I couldn’t reduce the volume using the iPad and the system remotes were sat on a shelf some distance away from the sofa, so manual intervention was called for.

1 Like

Thank you all for your sympathy and suggestions. I was using the App on my iPhone to start the music and there was no delay before it blasted out, suggesting the volume dial was responsible, not the +/- in the App.
Note to self: Check volume dial every time!
Thanks again, Ian

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.