Streamer disappears from App

No not really. I have no issue here with multiple control apps and systems, but I do use a IGMP querier on my home network (BT SH2), so no very unlikely to be an ‘app’ bug as it these sorts of issues are nothing to do with the app per se.
This is network, wifi device operating system, or host related.

Ok, what are you scanning with fing… are you scanning UPnP SSDP responses (UPnP services), or a response from the streamer MAC address?
If the latter (which is what you do with a basic fing scan) then that is curious as it suggests there is a fundamental network (ie poor WAP interface implementation on router or streamer failure.)
When you run fing and your streamer disappears, try also running fing or an equivalent on an Ethernet connected device. If that shows streamer, but your wifi fing didn’t… then I would look at replacing your wifi solution… or first see if you device works correctly at your dealers or a friends house.

Out of curiosity do you have a good quality wifi signal at your streamer… is your wifi busy and getting a high level of collisions or interference. You may want to consider a mesh of multiple low power access points if you haven’t already, and have an access point in the same room as the streamer.

Streamers can work very well with wifi… I do with some of mine… but I do run a wifi system that handles devices switching to low power, and IGMP well.

Here is one of my wifi connected Naim streamers using Net Analyzer… you can see it is responding with UPnP services (blue U). This has a small Ubiquiti mesh access point nearby in a conservatory.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses …
I am only using the Naim app on one device (my mobile phone). I have not tried any other apps.
I am scanning the network using Fing on my mobile phone. I am using the free (limited functionality) version. I originally installed it as an easy way to find out the IP-address of the QNAP file server. (I needed that information to login to it).
I will try to get more information on the quality of my wi-fi. (I used to run a Squeezbox and it never had any problems so I assume my wi-fi is OK. I am only using the wi-fi for music screaming and/or light internet access. I do not have my TV connected to wi-fi). I will install Fing on my desktop and run it from there the next time the NDX streamer disappears.

The NDX has disappeared from the App again. I have investigated my network as follows …
a) With the free Android version of Fing on my mobile phone I can see everything on my network except the NDX. I can see my Dell desktop, QNAP server and my ND5 streamer. (And some other items like my mobile phone and a laptop).
b) I tried to install the desktop version of Fing but I could not get it installed properly (even though I set up a Fing account and replied to their emails). I abandoned this option.
c) I am running a dual boot Dell desktop and after looking up the internet I installed a linux program called nmap and it gives me the same result as Fing gives me on my mobile phone. The NDX is no longer connected to the network.
Usually when this happens I can get the NDX to reconnect to the network by either pressing buttons on the front of it or by pressing buttons on the remote.
However this time I will try switching the App to iRadio and see if that brings back the NDX. I will report back.

I switched to the ND5 streamer and changed from UPnP to iRadio but the NDX did not reappear. It is still missing from my network.

I will try to see if there are any options I can change on the NDX menu that might keep it connected. If I can’t improve things I will just have to live with the problem until the next software update (that will hopefully fix the problem).

I can live with the problem but it causes difficulties for other people in the house since I can’t actually come up with a fool proof recipe to fix things. Sometimes pressing buttons on the NDX works; sometimes pressing buttons on the remote works and sometimes it needs the NDX to be switched on and off.

Firmware updates for 1st gen streamers are very infrequent, and even if there is one I don’t think it will address your problem.

The WiFi modules in these older models were not great, and wired connections really are the best solution. If you really can’t run cables I think your best option might be to upgrade your wireless network unless you can properly diagnose the issue.

It’s more or less impossible in my present situation to run physical internet cables. It would involve lifting carpets and floors. And also chasing out walls.
I will talk to Vodafone about options to improve the wifi.
However – before I had the Naim streamers I had a Logitech Squeezbox and it never lost contact with the network.
Also, my mobile phone works all over the house (on wifi not data).

I could not NDX to work tonight by pressing buttons and had to switch it on and off.

I could not get the NDX to work tonight by pressing buttons and had to switch it on and off.

As Chris said, the older wifi modules in first generation Naim streamers weren’t very good. If you look for a modern wifi extender that has an Ethernet port (pass through) such as the TP Link RE650 or similar, and install this physically near your NDX, you can then use a short Ethernet cable to connect your streamer to your network.

For this application, you are really using the new device as a wifi bridge: it connects to your existing wifi network, and enables wired devices (ie your NDX) to connect in that room without pulling a wire through your house. The wifi repeater / extender functionality isn’t so important to you, just the inclusion of the Ethernet port. Back in the day, early Apple Airport devices were the usual solution to this problem… good luck if you try it.

Switching the NDX off and then on again is probably going to be your easiest fix.

1 Like

The option of getting a box that converts from wifi to ethernet looks promising. It sounds a lot simpler than trying to set up a wifi mesh system. Thanks alan33.

I ran the ‘network test’ option on the naim app and it tells me something about not mixing 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz wifi and that I should split the two networks. Unfortunately I have a vodafone gigabox modem and that seems to be impossible to do. Old vodafone posts mention such an option but it does not seem to be available anymore.
When I log into the modem (in expert mode) I get the message “Super Wi-Fi is running your setting … Use the Super Wi-Fi tile in the Vodafone app”. But this does not work since the Super Wi-Fi tile in the app seems to be about adding a wi-fi extender.

1 Like

Don’t rely on that, the results are all over the place. It may provide interesting info to Naim support, but the user-visible results and recommendations are unreliable to say the least. There was a thread with users reporting their results when this feature was new. It gave me four or five recommendations and all of them were between not helpful and completely factually wrong

The solution is simple but no one wants to suggest it.
Only a wired solution will likely solve your unacceptable problems.

Install data over power adapters such as Devolo to create a wired network.
I can hear the balloon go up:-

• they are noisy - no they are not.
  • they affect SQ - no they do not.
  • “our leader” will hate you.

I have used them for 5 years and they are fine. I have Devolo 1200/500 series (avoid 1000 series).

The latest are faster Devolo Magic2 models (but not used them). You can get a 2 node starter kit on the river. Just make sure you have enough ports to connect all your devices say the LAN triple port option around £130. If not you will need something extra like a Netgear 4 or 8 port hub.
If they do not work for you then you can return them! What’s not to like?

If my equipment and network do not stay connected 24/7/365 I would think the sky has fallen in. Your situation is unacceptable.
There is your answer.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s definitely the only answer. I’ve got a hardwired NDX and have the same issues with the app. Also had a powerline WiFi booster previously and they introduced huge amount of noise into the power supply which was audible through the speakers.

1 Like

I am not suggesting a wi-fi booster but a wired LAN using data over power adapters. I have no noise.

I think a stable connection is one big step to solving the problem.
If they do not work then you can return them! What’s not to like?

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions …

The latest situation is that the NDX disappeared again. However, rather then pressing random buttons on the front (generally when things failed, I would press the central button which lit everything up and then I would press random buttons on the remote control.) Tonight I pressed the top-right-hand button and it said something like “No USB stick”. I kept pressing the button and it eventually gave me the message “No Network” and then said “Wait” and it reconnected.

My problem is that I don’t like switching the NDX on and off (partly because Naim tells me to keep in on all the time and partly because on my rack it’s hard to get at the back).

My bigger problem is to have a recipe that other people in the house can follow to reset the NDX if I am away.

I also noticed a reply in this thread that said the NDX can lose connection even with a wired connection.

I keep thinking I have solved the problem (I set the app to “keep connected”) but then the problem reappears.

A solution whereby I can get it working again by pressing buttons is much better than switching it on and off.

A wired connection would be ideal but my modem/router is upstairs (in the back room) and the NDX is downstairs (in the front room). The easiest way would (probably) be to run a cable through the upstairs wall and around the house and through the downstairs wall. Its not really an option,

I also think that maybe switching off the 5GHz wifi and just having 2.5Ghz wifi might fix things. (Or at least improve them). Vodafone have disabled this option (without paying them more) but it is possible to download an earlier version of their app that supports this option. But I am reluctant to to install unknown software on my phone.

It would be really great if there was a RESET button on the front of the NDX. Maybe the next iteration?

I misunderstood this suggestion and tried changing things on the App. However pressing the upper-right-hand button on the streamer seems to let me cycle though the inputs until I get the message “No Network” followed by “Connecting”

I actually spoke with Naim support on Friday, who were really excellent. They suggested also clearing the cache from the app by going into apps/Naim/storage settings/clear cache (don’t also clear data as you delete login details). Not cured but has improved. The cycling to radio on the app or physically using the buttons on NDX definitely works as well if locked up. Good luck!

I have not had any problems for a while. I am waiting for the streamer to disappear again and then I will check if I can get it back by switching to iRadio. If that option works reliability I will leave things as they are.
If problems persist I will look at either a wi-fi to ethnet box or the suggested ethernet-over-mains option.
Thaks to everyone for the advice.

Using them for 10 years (Devolo 1200 series) in one part of the house and no problem at all except some randomly, but exceptionaly, decoupling of the devices (easy to solve in any case); FWIK the 1200 series are equiped with RFI and EMI filters and don’t introduce more noise than that put in by the normal power net.