Streamer for Naim Nait 5i-2

I currently use a HP ELITE 800 plugged into a Bryston BDA-1 DAC. was thinking DAC / Streamer ? What would recommendations be to plug into a modest Naim 5i-2 so I can streamline my system a little. All comments and help appreciated.

ND5XS2 seems the obvious answer; same case size & profile, all in one box, simple to use.
All you need is a broadband connection & a smart phone/tablet to get the basics up & running using a streaming service like Tidal, & if you want to own your music add a NAS or similar.

3 Likes

Mike, makes a good suggestion. Alternatively a used NDX on the old streaming platform are going for just over a grand. That would leave you with enough cash saved from buying a new streamer to buy a NAS or even a Innuous Zen ripper/NAS.

3 Likes

I took the budget route

Roon > Squeezebox Touch with EDO > schiit modi 3 > 5i-2 > dyn focus 160

1 Like

A used NDX could be a VERY cost-effective solution getting you a very nice streamer/player. Although it does not support Roon natively, you can spend $300 or less and add that via one of several little devices on the market and used frequently by forum members. And it will be significantly less money than a new ND5XS2.

1 Like

TEAC and JVC both make very decent streamers with modern platform support for a few hundred $.

As mentioned, a second hand Naim option is possible too. I’d look for a second hand ND5XS personally.

1 Like

An Innuos Zen Mini would be a good option to start with. The current Mk3 version has a DAC built in, although this could later be upgraded with an external DAC, or used as a server into a streamer using UPnP or Roon.
Regarding used Naim streamers such as the NDX, they could be a very good choice, but they have limited support for online streaming services, so if you use these rather than just streaming from local storage, a more recent design might be a safer bet.

NDX or ND5XS + Sonore UPnP Bridge or Allo DigiOne will put Roon on the 1st gen Naim streamer, with access to Tidal and Qobuz. Internet Radio ‘stations’ also are accessible and can be saved. The feature sets among Roon and 2nd gen Naim streamer players are not totally overlapping, but depending on what the user wants this might be a very cost-effective solution.

Yes, there are workaround solutions, but the OP did say he wanted to streamline his system, and I think it would be remiss of us to recommend a hardware solution developed over a decade ago without pointing out the limitations it might bring, and which may well become more problematic as time goes on.
That said, I’m still happy with my NDX.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.