Streamer upgrade, does it really make a big difference?

I think the main advantage of the G2.1 over the G1 comes when using it with a G2.1 Vega DAC. Auralic have a bidirectional HDMI-based connection they call Lightning Link, that couples streamer and DAC together, supposedly resulting in lower jitter and better SQ for local streaming. This won’t work with a non-Auralic DAC, so auditioning the two options first would probably be wise.

Roger

Hi @thijazi ,

The UR is very capable. The trouble I find with all such devices is that they are sensitive to everything. I ended up with a very complex chain of PSUs and widgets.

M

2 Likes

Yep! I have a spaghetti of cables and power supplies… That is one of the advantages of a single box solution like the Auralic, DCS or NDX

I believe the Aries G2.1 has a slightly different chassis and is also better isolated against electro magnetic interfernces…

Don’t overlook the Meridian 210. I thought the dCS NB was excellent, not BETTER than my spaghetti junction but SO much neater. I was very pleasantly surprised by the 210. It does ‘limit’ you to 9624, but I don’t hear this, and my MScaler then upscales everything anyway.

1 Like

The G2.1 has an inner copper case and isolation feet… amongst other tweaks over the G1. Another option to consider might be one of the servers/streamers from Antipodes.

I’ve got the oR down to a two box 1 cable solution in my music room but, I do have the option of storing the oM plus LPS, servers and network switches etc in a separate network cupboard on the opposite side of the house. Without this it would be a nightmare of cables etc… I would probably have gone with Innuos otherwise.

I looked at the Meridian 210 but that was going to work with the HQPlayer server.

1 Like

There is the iFi Zen Stream, which has just been launched. Nice compact product, competitive pricing with grand claims made by iFi. Worth a look and listen perhaps.

[/quote]I’ve got the oR down to a two box 1 cable solution in my music room but, I do have the option of storing the oM plus LPS, servers and network switches etc in a separate network cupboard on the opposite side of the house. Without this it would be a nightmare of cables etc… I would probably have gone with Innuos otherwise. [/quote]

Yep, same. You can just see a peek of the Sonore Power Supply and oR hidden in the cabinet on the left. All the oM’s, server, switches, modems etc etc are in an office closet directly below. It doesn’t have to be ‘spaghetti’ but it can certainly get there! I do think these Sonore products play to a higher level (esp if given good power) than many people give them credit for because they don’t come in a big fancy milled case with knobs and lights and a mid to high four or five figure price tag.

1 Like

Sure, it’s one reason it’s double the price. But whether that makes an audible difference in a pure streamer with a DAC other than the Vega is the issue. Hence my suggestion of auditioning first, where that’s possible, of course.

Roger

This was my experience as well. Not to mention if you add up all those little accessories you’re into the Naim streamer territory.

2 Likes

Hi Roger,

I’m using G1 USB to Chord Mscaler and then dual BNC to Chord Qutest. I have a Chord HugoTT2 on order. I might consider upgrading to G2.1, but we’ll see

Your system merits a complimentary source.
I have travelled a journey of definite improvements with my Naim pre and power amps.

NDX
NDX with Naim PSU,
Dave + Melco
Dave + Melco with SOTM USB reclocker

I have just gone for it and installed an Innuos Statement with the Dave.

I am finally there!

Everything sounds right.
I now can play any music and it all sounds wonderful.
I, no longer favour albums that make the system sound great.
It all sounds great.

Now I am really just enjoying any and all music.

Dr Peter Dickens

4 Likes

Thanks for the note, are you using the Innuos Statement as a music server as well, the digital media is stored on it?

And what interface are you using to connect the Innous to the Dave?

I have a real entry level streamer (Cromecast audio) where the optical cable cost almost as much as the streamer. My DAC is not entry level though (Bel Canto 3.7).

Free Spotify sounds surprisingly good but not the same level as my CDP.

Yes.
I listen to it on a Muso in the kitchen, upstairs to my ipad or Phone.

A Chord USB cable.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.