Streamer upgrade options

Interesting. I just did the sign up with VPN on my phone then used Qubuz just fine on my home network without VPN.

Innous Zen beats Althea Naim options because the app works and the ripping is 100 times better :+1:t2:

I suggest use Spotify Connect as the music is streamed from the server directly and your iPad is just a remote control. Using Airplay the iPad is the server and needs to be active all the time reducing the battery and increasing workload.

To your question about Logitech Server, I agree an alternative like MinimServer or Asset would help.

Spotify Connect can be directly played by your streamer… but Spotify uses the Ogg Vorbis compression method, and you may, if like me, find it it less effective than AAC for the same bandwidth, which Apple uses.
The latter requires you to feed from a transport such an AppleTV or such like into the streamer… but may sound better for you.

Also don’t forget the new streamers have Chromecast built in so you can play from several other services and applications too… it really is very powerful.

2 Likes

matpip74, I am in exactly the same situation - SBT connected to SN1 dac and thinking about ND5 XS2.

While SBT + SN1 sound nice, I wonder what sound quality improvement would ND5 bring?

Can you, please, share some toughts about that. If it is a minor upgrade, I could not justify the cost of ND5 XS2.

The other route I am thinking is getting the new SN3, separate DAC and keep Sqeezebox touch for some time.

Regards, Matjaž

You need a Hicap first if you don’t already - that will upgrade your DAC and pre amp stage.

For me the ND5XS has no appreciable difference and I ended up upgrading to to Chord Qutest in anticipation of an eventual amp upgrade.

Hi Matjaz,

The ND5 XS2 sounds considerably better than the SBT, in the context of my system. I’ve tried the SBT directly in the ND unit (via coax), and it also sounds better than the SBT into the SN’s DAC, but slightly worst than the fully utilised ND. So, my conclusion is that both the transport and the dac portions of the ND are better than the SBT and the SN’s dac, respectively. How much better is the ND compared to the SBT+SN-dac? quite a lot tbh, particularly in terms of sound stage which is significantly wider. I’m not very good in describing sonic differences, but the ND seems to handle better complex music like classic or hard-rock; it just makes the system to sound nicer to my hear. I also like the user interface; I’m now appreciating the full potential of Spotify and I just find myself discovering new music with my ipad. The ND connects eevrytime without hiccups or drops. I was a bit worried about that aspect, but seems to be a stable piece of kit. All in all, a worthwhile upgrade.

1 Like

I agree, the Hicap is helping quite significantly the internal dac of the SN, but not enough to bring it on par with the ND5XSs’ dac, imho.

In my experience I’d disagree. I had a ND5XS2 for a week and honestly, in my system did not hear a perceivable difference. My dealer confirmed the same. The Qutest was a big step up.

Obviously my ears on my system.

1 Like

Was it a new unit? I’ve noticed a good improvement after some time. Cold out of the box, it was not sounding at his best.
At the end of the day, I lived with and enjoyed the SBT for many years, so I can’t say it was sounding rubbish! far from that. I wanted to upgrade, so perhaps I was ‘inclined’ to like the ND5xs2.

At the end of the day, the notion of better and how much this better is worth depends on many factors. Some people are ready to splash many thousand of $ for arguably marginal improvements. It’s the combination of your hears, your passion for hi-fi and the disposable income you are willing to spend that ultimately determine what’s worth and what’s not.

For the last few years, I spent money in other hobbies and the SBT was good enough for me. The moment I reconnected with music (and visited my dealer again), I felt the need of getting something better.

Yes it is all very subjective! I really wanted to buy the ND5XS2 as well. It was the store demo unit and warmed up, had it for a week. When the dealer heard it in my home he agreed it sounded correct (I asked him to listen when he was picking up due to my surprise) and the SN1/HC also did.

Thank you both. One for nd and one against :slight_smile:

I tried hicap (not a dr one) but it extended speakers bass response way over the room limit.

Problem with my Naim dealer is the he does not have streamers and amps available for home demo. He will try to borrow one from one of his custumers. If I am that lucky, I will try one at home. If not, I will stay with SBT.

I used a SBT into SN1 with HiCap (non-DR) for a couple of years but went for an NDX in Jan 14 … it was an unbelievable upgrade and whilst I’ve followed this with a few other black boxes (N DAC, XPS-DR, NAP-250DR, NAC-282), etc. all of which have added depth, clarity and overall enjoyment …
… it was the NDX which made the biggest difference.

3 Likes

source first…

I would agree with you, if I could do it all over again I would spend much less on amplifier upgrades and MUCH more on source upgrades.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your inputs.

First step first - just today my Naim dealer informed me, he will borrow me Hicap DR. Weather forecast is rain, so I will have plenty of time for listening.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.