Streaming Alternatives

Which is why I’m gently leaning towards the 282 as my first step (next year, sometime), accepting the deficiencies of the ND5XS2 for a period (assuming it arrives before my retirement :crazy_face:), and then look for NDX2 (or 3, by then) plus, finally, XPSDR. And relax.

Streaming alternatives I would consider would be Innous, Antipodes, Grimm, Taiko extreme Aurender…you asked😉

You have a very nice system now, if a bit uneven. If I were in your shoes, I’d play the long game.

• Get streaming box ticked for now with a second hand NDX or XP5xs.
  • Enjoy music for 3 years and buy no other new boxes.
  • Do a big bang upgrade in a few years of everything.

Everything will be at the same level. You’ll maximise the cost performance. And you’ll probably be able to audition the complete system. Not to mention you can put thoughts of upgrades out of your mind entirely while you save up.

1 Like

I have the ND5XS2 on a 282/HiDR and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

It’s my first streamer, not sure if I’d like streaming at all. But all the cable/ISPs are stopping FM radio on cable here so the ND5 took the spot of my NAT 05. Fast forward a few months… all our CDs are already boxed up in the garage. The ND5 (+ Powerline & HiLine) performs really well. Much better than I expected.

So much better that my CDX2, just back from service, will be up for sale.

BTW, my future upgrade path will likely be the NDX2 and later a 250 too.

2 Likes

Good to hear! Many thanks

Waiting to buy something you’ll enjoy because the ‘new thing’ MIGHT be on the horizon is always a losing proposition. Because the wait is a total unknown.

If you really want an upgrade now, upgrade now. If you can do so with used equipment, to lessen the financial hit, by all means do that.

One can upgrade with an NDS for rather ‘short money’ these days and it’s an excellent streamer.

Not need after to sell after the Nd5xs2 and get the Ndx2. Just buy a second hand Ndac. Nd5xs2/ Ndac is on the same level and maybe better. Used Ndac around 750/ 1k.

It can get to be a lot of boxes. Strategy works for some however.

…or an ND5XS2 / MScaler / Qutest

stunning combo.

Not the same budget….but why not.

How would they connect? Would that be digital out from ND5XS2 to nDAC (or alternative) and then Din/Din or RCA-Din?

Yes, coaxial SPDIF from streamer to DAC then the usual Naim DIN - DIN connection from the NDAC to amp.

What’s the difference between a nDAC and a nDAC-V1 (other than the size) and which is considered better?

V1 is a DAC and headphone amp and preamp all in one box I believe.
Ndac is a standalone DAC.
From a sq perspective, the Ndac has the advantage.

:+1:t2: many thanks

go used. Always better value as if the 272.2 blows things out the water, you’ll not lose much.

1 Like

The NDAC is more capable, and has the option of various power supply upgrades that can improve its performance considerably.
The V1 is still a nice DAC. It was designed to accept a USB connection to cater for people who wanted to use a computer for audio rather than a streamer. It also has a headphone amp built in.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.