Streaming audio: wishes for 2021

that does not answer the question about naim not supporting legacy streamers/equipment.

what you have replied with is that naim should have made a different product to start with…

I have explained why, in my view, Naim have not supported owners of nDAC, NDS, NDX2 and ND5XS2 adequately, namely by failing to introduce a small stand-alone transport that would have allowed these owners to take advantage of the new streaming platform while still using their devices.

If this does not answer your question, it is likely that I have misunderstood what you have been asking.

Surely these were typos or I am confused by what you mean. The NDX2 and the ND5XS2 have the new streaming platform built in

1 Like

Correct, I meant nDAC, NDS, NDX and ND5XS, as in my original post.

1 Like

Yes, on the issue of Naim’s continuing view on the wisdom of offering a Dac-less streamer, it’s kind of funny, in that the Naim people appear to be thinking like engineers instead of marketers, or ideally a good combination of both.
In any business it’s really not a matter of what you, as the company, believe makes sense; what matters the most is what your customers believe makes sense. I mentioned in another thread that you absolutely never win an argument with a customer … they just simply go somewhere else and buy. You lose.
And then of course, word of mouth follows that, as the friends and acquaintances that they talk to would be recommended to that new supplier. You lose again …

Even from just reading the threads on this forum, Naim has already lost many customers to other good Dac-less streamers. And then of course the Dac goes to another manufacturer.
This saddens me somewhat, as I support Naim exclusively.

2 Likes

i think ive got you now.
You want to use the legacy old model streamers as a DAC and have a seperate unit as a transport which incorporates the latest streaming software.
Apologies for any confusion :+1:

1 Like

Spot-on! I couldn’t agree more.

There is truth to this. There is also truth to the famous Henry Ford quote,
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

2 Likes

Good one! I’d forgotten that quote, I’m still chuckling …

2 Likes

I just finished reading on another thread that 4 days ago one of the members here got tired of waiting for a 272 upgrade and bought a Bartok. I don’t know how Naim can’t see it coming.
I had a company with about six or seven product lines, with 2-300 products in each line. We were always discussing redundant products, where every time we made one we lost money. But the people that were buying that product were also buying many other products from us. Just the cost of doing business.

I personally would have had a streamer-only, available for shipping, as I made the announcement that the Legacy streamers were not upgradable to the new digital Tech.

1 Like

Nothing to apologise, you have precisely expressed what I meant, sometimes I am a bit lost in translation!

I didn’t understood well too. Agree that Naim could produce a transport only, without dac.
I would not have to solve my Nds.

1 Like

It takes a genius to have that mind set and make it work. Look at where Ford is today.

1 Like

The genius was calling it horsepower: people still want more horses!

1 Like

The fifth-largest auto maker in the world? But sure, yes. Nevertheless, blindly following what customers want, without a vision of your own, it not necessarily a road to success either. That’s why I said there is truth to both. Where I work, we had a vision 20 years ago and all and sundry told us it’s impossible. They were wrong and we are extremely profitable, though I don’t think we have any actual geniuses on board

1 Like

Too modest Mr Suidkiez, too modest. :grin:

Well, did you follow your customers in the last 20 years to get to where you are today?

The point is Naim is losing customers in the streamer and DAC market by not giving what the customers want. The do nothing approach is hardly comparable to what Henry Ford did.

2 Likes

Both. We listened to them, but we did not blindly implement everything they wanted. Even if sometimes it took longer to do it right or in line with the vision.

And I don’t see why with Naim it’s so different to the Ford quote. Ford also lost or did not gain potential customers who wanted better horses

Yes, and I also would like to see Naim supporting state of the art servers (MinimServer, Asset, …) on their devices as done by Melco, InnuOS, etc. The Naim UPnP server is just too limited, poorly supported and, for classical music, unsuitable.

1 Like

Yes. For sold a car instead of a better horse.

Where is Naim’s car upgrade to the horse?