Streaming sanity

Actually Eonik F=Ma is an oversimplification for rockets, where the mass is time dependent. You need F=dp/dt where p is the momentum.

2 Likes

I noticed that happening once or twice but would select another album to listen to before even the first track had finished on the radio.

I will let it play next time and see what it selects.

Now I am impressed! And you made me feel young and disillusioned :slight_smile:

Pity Naim discontinued the HDX, a nice solutiion for those who just want music without dragging the whole IT-industry into their music-system.

I know it was a bit craputzy internally running Windows and all but rip the power amp out of the uniti star and put in a classic case and your are almost there.

Lots of people said here that Naim would never make a replacement for the Unitiserve, but they did, so you never knowā€¦

Itā€™s funny how perceptions differā€¦ to me streaming can be plug and play and the simplest of them allā€¦ you can Wifi to your home network and it can just work if you use Tidalā€¦ this sort of functionality is almost ubiquitous now with many with just about everything from smartphones, smartspeakers, home automation, smart TVā€¦ it works well with Netflixā€¦

Complexity starts when you start to manually collect local rips and downloads, and to be honest the Naim Core makes this reasonably straightforward.

So most the fiddling around with so called ā€˜ITā€™ we read on these pages (and it is just scraping the surface of general IT) are from people tinkering and experimenting to shape the effects of noiseā€¦ itā€™s akin to playing around with different speaker cables, interconnects, or applying different colour felt tips to the edge of your CDsā€¦ itā€™s all fun and games but not necessary.

There are issues perhaps from where people have setup their home networks with with wet string and glue and are running into inevitable issuesā€¦ that wonā€™t neccessarily be limited to Naim audioā€¦ but a system using it may be impacted. To me that is kind of equivalent of powering your Naim through a series of connected extension leadsā€¦ it will work, just, but your Naim isnā€™t going to operate at itā€™s best

4 Likes

Simon, I very much agree with that (particularly the point of noise shaping [and reduction], and the comparison of that to tinkering with cables etc.) except that some of the earlier ISP supplied ā€˜routersā€™ / ā€œhubsā€ did pose problems which exacerbated the problems in the earlier version of the Naim app. Together these made quite a few installations rather more ā€˜plug & prayā€™ than ā€˜plug & playā€™.

P.S. Wet string and glue is never going to work, the string has to be dry for the glue to stick! :rofl:

Xanthe, I agree, if this was 10 to 15 years ago in the UK, there was, in my opinion, some shockingly poor, home network/broadband router equipmentā€¦ but to be fair the demands at that time were pretty basicā€¦ kind of like consumer basic web service accesses.
However wind the clock forward and the applications and devices many have in their home are more demanding and as such I have the seen the quality and capability improveā€¦ to the point know where device like from BT with their SmartHub2 are pretty sophisticated devices with good capability underneath the covers that they simply get on with without giving a myriad of options to the user to get confused with.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.