Streaming

I guess I vested a lot into vinyl playback financially no regrets. But want to be able to sample and listen or an alternative more relaxing way to play. Some times lp’s are too short. It looks like I am going to look at used ND555 0r NDX2.

2 Likes

With the Nd555 or NDX2 you can also use system automation, which is so nice to have. Only a tablet or phone to oparate the whole system.

Really now that’s a novelty

My ND5XS2 along with a Supernait 3 sound astounding. Streaming music is so much more enjoyable to me compared to Vinyl, both sonically and in the functionality it offers. My speakers are a pair of Tannoy Definition DC10A’s and a REL 212. To answer your question “will it be good”, since I purchased the ND5XS2, I no longer am afflicted with “upgraditis”.

2 Likes

Thanks, makes sense

Duh. Silly. It’s a turntable

I offer a contrarian view. My feeling is, pound for pound a vinyl source is a lot more money than digital. You could get a great separate DAC for 3,000 pounds or under and add a sub 1k streamer and I think you would be happy without spending 1,000,000 on a triple 5

3 Likes

Try the Auralic options if you can. Very credible alternative.

That’s a lovely turntable for sure. If it were me I’d be looking at an NDX2 as a starter. It sounds very good by itself and may be all you need. If you do want better you could add a PS555DR, and then if you want better still you could swap the NDX2 for an ND555. Going straight for the ND555 setup would cost £25,000 and could be far more than you need.

1 Like

Hi where i am is if i was starting out today i would probably not have vinyl as a primary source. I think an ndx2, auralic solution might avoid the two steps forward and then one back or sideways path i trod in vinyl. I do wonder about a streamer and a DAC solution vs a single box. By analogy if i started in vinyl again i would probably have gone down an rega rp10 with one of their excellent cartridges. I could go for sonore optical module and rendu and add one of ladder dac’s, but heh there is a risk it will not have synergy.

Perhaps the first step would be to determine which dac has a sound signature you like. DCS, Naim, Linn, Denafrips, Meitner, Chord….all are different.
Some dacs have no transport / streaming part, other integrates them.
I still personally prefer the Naim. But from all I could listen too during the last three years, the best for the money was Lumin X1. Much much less expensive vs Nd555/555 dr, and better on some aspects.

The other aspect to determine too is: do you need a server/ Nas to stock cd rips and downloads ? Do you need a ripper ?
Some servers are streamers also, like Melco, Innuos, Antipodes…

If i were to store i would look at a Roon core, at least that’s my thinking. I have a mac i could use for now. Lumin x1 is an investment and could be the right way to go. I was tempted by a t2 for £2,760 …….but its curious that i can go for a ndx2 for £6000 0r go all in with an x1 for double that. I suspect to get fidelity it always seems to be the higher initial cost - or is it? I pontificate. My dealer reckons Auralic Vega is the way ! I could buy the Lumin t2 and add a better dac mong those you list - any views appreciated

There’s so many possibilities. Can’t say for Auralic, I have never heard.
Maybe @bruss could advise you on their products.
However the most important is to listen by yourself. You will be surprised by the differences.
It’s the same for turntables. You have the Sovereign , a 10k around deck and arm. For that money you can a VPI signature 21, Vertere Mg1, Acoustic signature thunder, Clearaudio basic innovation, mid level Lp12, SME 15……
They all sound different too. But your preference went for Origin Live.

1 Like

I’m not sure I can advise on anything, and can’t offer a comparison to any current Naim streamer. I have been trying out various streaming combinations though and the result is that I am running an Aries G1 transport/renderer in to a Vega G1 dac.
My thoughts are that the Altair one box transport plus dac is very good and at a similar level to the GoldNote DS-10. It far exceeds the sq of a Node 2i, the Node needing the Qutest to perform near this level.
The Aries G1 plus Vega G1 seems to me to be somewhere around the Rega P8 SQ level. The Aries plus Qutest needed the Qutest roll off filter to round off a harder technical edge. The Aries plus Vega has no need for a filter. I think the Auralic has a better match to the warmth of the Naim sound that I experience. I have now decided in the absence of an expected date for Amazon HD to be incorporated on board Naim streamers, that I am going to go for the Auralic G2.1 streaming solution in the main system.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.