Strictly Hypothetically...555PSDR or 300DR?

This is as advertised a ‘Strictly Hypothetical’ question:

NDX2:XPSDR - 252DR - 250DR - Tab 10 Sig to

1. NDX2:555PSDR - 252DR - 250DR - Tab 10 Sig or
  2. NDX2:XPSDR - 252DR - 300DR - Tab 10 Sig

Thoughts?

G

1. Gives you a step to where you’ll probably go next…
1 Like

Maybe that’s a reason not to do it…I hadn’t looked at it that way!

G

2 Likes

Or Sell 252/Supercap for about £8k and get a 552 2018 for an additional £5k on a well known site.

Where I’d put my money Graham. :joy:

Sorry not at all what you asked or suggested I know! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I thought the 552 would be suggested pretty quickly! I’d do source before 552 though.

G

1 Like

Was a hypothetical suggestion. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Graeme, I know this won’t chime well with your architect’s sensibilities, but what you really want first is a Fraim. With some boxes on the shelf unit and others on the floor you just just won’t get the benefit of either of these. The 300 is a tricky one with two fat burndies and din to XLR leads that must be treated like delicate flowers if you want the best performance from a large item of expenditure. If you really want to do one it’s the 555PS. The NDX2 is excellent with it, even with a Supernait. Whether the Tabs will sufficiently benefit from a 300 over a 250 to make it worthwhile I’m not so sure.

3 Likes

555 wins hands down for an excellent source improvement

Do you really need a NAP300 in your listening room?

1 Like

Better speakers ?

No. I don’t really need a 555PSDR either though…

G

Hahaha.

G

1 Like

I was not joking. The Proac tab 10 signature are well matched for SN3 for example. 252/250 is a must for it. I would not upgrade anything if you want to keep them. 555 dr is a lot of money, for a not big upgrade vs XPS dr on Ndx2.
A Fraim, better cables, better powerblock…would be perhaps something to do.

3 Likes

So ‘neither’.

Perfect. I have my answer in relation to my question.

G

2 Likes

Option 1 in principle but it is still a matter of taste.
At this level of amplification I would try and consider alternatives to the Tab 10.

1 Like

Nothing, or if there is money burning a hole in your pocket, a 552. Do you have Superlumina I/C and speaker cables.

There, but not burning a hole Mike. When it gets to the point of thousands on cables ‘I’m out’ in Dragons Den language.

G

2 Likes

I’d be looking at the S/L interconnect over the 555PS for better results for $.

2 Likes

I’ll stick.

G

2 Likes

Pre loved 552 would work it’s magic here i think. That and Fraim…

4 Likes

250DR > 300DR was quite a pleasing upgrade in my home. With just those 2 options I’d do the 300 first, but I’ve never heard the other option.