Stupid question or what?

The only thing I would suggest is that if you are going to stack the Star directly on top of the 250 then put bits of paper (I use Tesco cheapo printer paper) under the feet, in order to protect the paint finish on the 250.

If you can separate the two vertically, then it is a good idea, the toroid in the 250 is a hefty bit of kit and will generate a substantial electromagnetic field, which “could” interact with the Star.

Stupid question — yes, because it’s the wrong one… The Fish answered the much smarter question correctly. That’s very kind of him I think — why no appreciation….

1 Like

The 250 is a cracking power amp, no matter what drives it!

And before you ask, yes I have driven it/them from non-Naim preamps.

Of course, my 250s are Olives……perhaps the newer ones are not as good :smiling_imp:

Amplification redundancy, I.é.
Unless you’re trying to gain (?) some time before moving to all separates system ( by adding something like a nd5xs2 or ndx2 ),
There’s no logic in doing this step.
But OP probably should point that out in the first place…

The advice was excellent, whether you “wanted” it or not. It’s viewed as an “odd” combination for a reason. The reason’s been stated. You’re free to ignore it of course.

We assume that you want to add a 250 so as to be able to drive speakers that require that extra “power.” Such speakers driven by that amp are likely to reveal the limitations of the Star as a source in that configuration.

2 Likes

ta

1 Like

Excellent advice is always welcome. Thank you. What I wanted wasn’t what anyone on this forum gave me! Just opinionated advice on what I should do. My budget has allowed me to get where I am! Consideration please!

because i don’t have the cash!

Don’t shoot the messenger, people used to say in the olden days…

Many report that the XS3/ND5XS2 outperforms the Nova. Obviously the Nova is a step up from the Star…

So it might be safe to assume that the preamp section of the Star isn’t quite at XS3 level. The 250 is 3 steps UP from the power amp section of the XS3. The Star isn’t quite at XS3 level…

Most obviously the 250 isn’t money well spend for the Star. Since your resources are limited, there should be even greater appreciation of advice that would prevent you from a “stupid” decision…

In which case there is no logic in adding an XPS or 555 to an NDx2.

2 Likes

If you don’t have the cash then wait until you do and enjoy what you have.

The advice you have been given here is sound, the 250DR is not an ideal upgrade for the Star as it will reveal its limitations.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.