Sub-£500 phono stage - thoughts/suggestions

+1 schiit mani

Hi Charles,

I am using the Mofi Ultraphono with a DV20x2, works well.

The Project Tube DS2 gets excellent reports.

M

I really enjoy the sound of my Mofi Ultraphono - preferred over my older Rega Phono MM MK2 (with Ortofon Blue).

I’ve got the ds2 and it’s amazing and still getting better the more I use it
I’m hearing things I never knew were in the recordings and I’ve had them a fair few years

1 Like

A lot of recommendations on YouTube for this phono stage and very good value.

I’ve got the Mofi Studio on trial and despite my initial disappointment - possibly aided by rushing to judgement before tweaking the dip switches to best suit my Orfofon Cadenza - I’m starting to really enjoy it.

I’ve played records for two days, more or less all day long, and it’s proving quite a capable performer.

That said, I’m still hankering after demoing some others, where possible.

I’ve read online that beyond the headphone capability of the Ultra, it is perhaps better too than the Studio with MC carts like mine.

1 Like

I upgraded from a cambridge audio 540p to the musical fidelity LX2LPS and was amazed at the sound. So much clarity and oomph id always recommend it to anyone.

I dunno…if you’re really enjoying it, I’d do just that. Curiosity at this point will only lead to either disappointment or a virtually neverending chase. It’s one thing if you were remaining unimpressed with the MoFi or it were a mismatch with your Ortofon.

Yes, exactly that is looming if I don’t get a grip.

Slight problem is that I access to, at various times, some interesting kit via a business colleague who also happens to have a side line in dealing hifi. I’ve loaned and returned a few things, and ended up buying a couple too. Ha!

He’s had some great phono stages recently that I’ve resisted looking at never mind loaning but my resolve sometimes crumbles . . .

1 Like

Not according to Ken Kessler …but, I have only heard the Ultraphono which I enjoyed immediatly.

Then you are at a great advantage over most. :grin:
I, too, am lucky enough to have access to lots of HiFi components through work and colleagues, but being located where I am in the states the type of gear I prefer after years of auditioning at this point (e.g., mostly British) is sadly not carried without going for a long road trip.
Regardless of what you end up choosing, I wish you luck and long-term enjoyment.

I think it’s the same circuit, but has ‘selected components’. You can wonder what audible difference that would make.

Mmm, indeed. I wonder. Those elusively vague selected components!

Thanks for the info’.

Thanks. And likewise.

1 Like

Well, just a quick update: I’ve had the Mofi Studio Phono less than a week, and what a turnaround.

It’s really grown on me, and belief in burn in or no burn in, it’s proving a superb relatively low cost piece of kit.

My most recent phono stage - Cyrus Signature/PSX-r2 - was pretty good, but I’m not missing it all. My Ortofon Red Cadenza seems to play very nicely with the Mofi and although I’m not able to compare and do an A/B (the Cyrus is sold on), I’m enjoying vinyl as much if not more with this set up in play.

I’m sure they’ll come a time when a good price/deal/“loan before purchase” on a new, “better” stage arrives but I’m in no rush at all.

6 Likes

Good to hear mate… stick with it if its right to your ears… don’t feel you have to upgrade or change… can be risky.

Charlie,

Glad it settled in.

As you probably know the MOFI stages were given a hand by Tim de Paravicini. If you look for a next step the the EAR Phonobox is well considered. I used to use the EAR868p and loved the phonostage. If you win the lottery then you could always consider the EAR912 as used by @frenchrooster of this parish.

M

1 Like

An Ear 88 pb is probably a better choice, because it’s only a phono stage, not also a preamp like the 912.

True, but we are now into daydream territory and I would marry it to a 300DR or 500DR! :wink:

1 Like

Perhaps one day I would be curious to connect it to a 500 dr. But the problem is to have the right cables to do it.
And a bigger room than mine :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: