Success with a conservatory anyone?

I must admit that I find it quite baffling that anyone would want a room on their house which has, by design, wildly unstable temperatures better suited to growing tomatoes than living in. The idea that you then run aircon in it, having specifically designed it to overheat, is madness, quite apart from the extreme environmental irresponsibility.
Sure if you want plenty of light get lots of windows or patio doors, but at least give it a proper insulated roof.

3 Likes

Maybe this could be combined with the “Have I Gone Mad?” thread

1 Like

I am fortunate that the location has little afternoon sun. That combined with solar glass and blinds should remove most concerns.
It is creating an acoustically viable space that is more challenging I think.
Here is a link to the SoS article I mentioned for those that might be interested

I think traditionally that conservatories had to have a glass/plastic roof in accordance with the planning requirements.
I understand that has now changed which is why i suggested in an earlier post that an insulated roof is a preferred option (and why there is now a market for retrofitting this option). I opted for loads of opening windows and not an a/c. It is probably far less of an issue if the conservatory is north-facing which mine is not.

Yes I have issues and constraints but having a separate “music room” offsets all these issues.

1 Like

Dont add a conservatory…add a sun room … picture widows around perimeter and traditional well insulated roof above with a good eaves overhang of about 300mm. It will be more comfortable and your gear will not get bleached…just a thought…

1 Like

I suppose it depend upon how one likes to live - we like the feeling of “being outdoors, but not too chilly :slight_smile:

Taken just now at 22:00 in mid April. I had the air-con on for about half an hour, but it’s still “quite comfortable”

Edit: just turned the heating back on - but not bad for pushing half-ten in April

The tall black objects left & right down the far end are the Briks (under their covers). The Linn electronics are all hidden behind the garden bench that we bought in for Zebedee to sunbathe/snooze - I suppose it can go back outside now :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Is that the Zebedee or the bench?

The bench - no longer needed on voyage.

What a wonderful sized conservatory - you could fit three of my music “box” in there!

8m x 4m. It is our primary living space for most of the year.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.