Sugden Preamp to Supernait 2 for more refinement

From 2 contradictionary responses of 2 ebay sellers about a 40 GBP 4 pin Din cable, it apparently is not as simple as you suppose.

He says it will work.

I found one on eBay and the listing says it will work.

I suspect that the cable you already have will work. Just remove the housing from the Din end and check which pins are connected. It’s critical that the +ve pin is NOT connected, as this one carries power.

Not at all - just trying to keep up with deleting the commercial links you’re posting here - please respect and abide by forum rules. Thanks.

You will need a 2 x RCA - DIN4 interconnect. I recommend the Naim one or one from Chord (Chrysalis would be my choice). I would avoid some of the cheap ones from eBay as the ones I have tried were not as good.

Hello Richard. Sad you are not on holidays :slight_smile: Hope you are fine. So I did not know about this rule. Well I guess it is ok to talk about flashbacksales, where I have 5 cables and who I did trust. So the man died and I only found one trustable person on ebay, which because of Brexit and double paid taxes because of Brexit and new IOSS number, we got in a big fight because of 35 eur taxes I had to pay double. As I do not have so many bucks to spend for original Naim cables, you may put a link here of the exact cable and I have a look at it. I bought around 9 special cables to connect with Naim, at one point it is enough and I do not play this expensive game anymore. In my country it is not easy to get original Naim cables and if so, they are way overpriced. We are one of the 3 richest countries in the world, so prices are much too high. Because of IOSS electronical coding problem thanks to Brexit, I won’t buy from UK anymore. Grazie mille Brexit. Kind regards. HF

1 Like

My Naim dealer did not answer me after I bought for around 13.000 eur in his shop in the last 20 years. He did not offer me a better price. When he knew I bought it second hand, he said: “My big boss will not like to hear that we answer in 20 words and make the effort to give you retail prices”. I never paid any retail price in this shop. As they did not answer my 2nd mail, they lost me forever as a customer. So in my country there is no 2nd Naim retailer shop for me. Pandemy apparently destroys the brain too. For me this shop is so dead. Thank God for that.

No I can’t, because rules forbid commercial links in the Hifi Corner.

In the context of the Supernait 2 and the Sugden headphone amp, I think the price of a Chord Chrysalis or Naim i/c is quite reasonable. Going any cheaper may be a false economy.

Here is the Naim interconnect you will need - 2 x RCA Phono - DIN4. This picture is of one from my own interconnect collection. The Chord Chrysalis version looks very similar but with silver finished (Chord branded) RCA plugs.

Sadly Chrysalis can only be bought secondhand these days, but it’s often a bargain when it does crop up, usually in the £10-25 range.

I can certainly vouch for the quality of the Naim interconnects. I use an RCA to Din (5 pin in this case) to connect my Rega Aria to the Supernait 3. For £115 it’s something of a bargain.

I can’t help thinking that the real solution is not to use half a Supernait as power amp, but to sell it and get a Sugden SPA4. A simple RCA cable will then connect the two, and the all-Sugden amplifier is much more likely to be successful than a Sugden/Naim mongrel, particularly if it’s refinement on classical that’s being sought.

sorry dear Richard, now I know. I love rules !

so all the 4 pin Chrylasis 4 pin are the same and will work. best would be that their instruction manual would show the ch1 ch2 ve+ and ve-, then I would be assured. Thanks Richard. Kind regards.

I bought the Supernait 2 last week as it stays cold for ma bedroom. No class a for my bedroom ! We have to play with the girls onboard. My Sudgen A21 SE Signature would also do it, but again, no class A heater allowed in my bedroom and especially SN2 was bought for listening in summer.

Finally I found my cable in a drawer. How do I see the Pins. Do I need to cut the cable to access the pins ? If I unscrew, is there a possibility to rescrew und mount it falsely. Should I make some marks to remount it properly later? I do not like this sentence: “It’s critical that the +ve pin is NOT connected, as this one carries power” so I’m very afraid I could damage the SN2 if trying this cable. So if I unscrew you would see any further details? Thanks.

The pins are visible inside the DIN socket, the four sticky out things you can see. You’re checking they are connected to the parts of the RCA plugs as explained in this post: Sugden Preamp to Supernait 2 for more refinement - #9 by james_n

No destruction of cable required! :slight_smile:

should I unscrew this screw ?

No dismantling of any kind is required… assuming you have some means to check continuity?

@james_n Sorry this is so technical. Could you just tell me if I can use my din 4 pin cable I used from Hicap to RCA integrated amp ? Thanks.

I have a Fluke 87 III but must say that I am unable to use it, so I am a hifi collector and have absolutely no technical knowledge and Naim is quite too much for me. I only succeeded 8 of 11 exams for mechanical engineer and then stopped. I am a burocrate working for state department for 22 years. Perhaps a link to electrotechnical analyse for Din cable could do it. What exactly should I measure and what will the digits indicate? Never had electrical practical lessons, only theoretical.

please send me the exact link of a cable max 100 eur to my email address or in a comment on my youtube channel then I buy it instead of destroying my new used Supernait 2. It is too complicated for me so I just buy a 10th Din cable. Thanks.

Tricky then. Fluke make nice equipment!

It will be hard for anyone to advise remotely. I always find working things out fun though, so maybe dig that meter out and give it a go? All you need to check for is that the pins show continuity to the correct parts of the RCA plugs as described in the referenced post.

This is also unfortunately where the cost comes into it, when you decide the time isn’t worth it, and you ask your dealer to source you a suitable cable. Or search eBay for a genuine used Naim cable. I managed to find a good used genuine SNAIC on eBay. And recently purchased a new RCA to DIN from my (friendly) Naim dealer.

Nope, only able to find out the right phase of a hifi element for the mains.