Suggestions for an upgrade?

Was that the 3,300 unit? Still a bargain imo. And as you say more could follow.

Change the speakers. Focals were totally ignored here before the ‘merge’. And IMO they should be ignored altogether. Do yourself a favor and buy something else.

No speakers can be that bad, except maybe my old B&W’s. lol. Just kidding

1 Like

Okay, that’s a pretty insulting comment. The Arias for the price point are wonderful.

1 Like

I’ve said it before but add a XPS to your setup if you can find one second hand and it’lll breathe more life into your speakers.

1 Like

I’m starting to get the hint on this thread. :joy:

Which is exactly why I asked the question… lovely to tap the expertise and experience.

2 Likes

Over the years I’ve gotten some great advice for sure. Sometimes it takes a bit to process but generally folks are spot on and in the long run save you money and time.

3 Likes

Save longer and buy something more significant later. Like better speakers.

Or use the money on acoustic treatment.

Not too sure what you are saying here @MaxBertola but I like my Focal speakers. I think what you are saying is offensive.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that it is offensive, in fact I’m sure it isn’t. It’s just opinion, and we are all entitled to one.

3 Likes

I have the same system as you (except different speakers). I added a preloved PS555DR and the improvement was spectacular.

I suspect a bit of latitude for non-native English speakers may be due here. Even people whose English is excellent, like Max, are likely to phrase things based on their mother tongue and come across in unintended ways.

6 Likes

I think either the XPSDR upgrade or new speakers would only enhance your already lovely system. I’d second the PMC suggestion based on your room limitations too.
One thought though if I may, if you upgrade to the XPSDR first you’ll get a lovely uplift I’m sure, but as some others here have suggested, I think your speakers would/are the limiting factor here (despite them being very capable I’m sure) and they may not let you hear all of the improvement you’ve made from the outlay on the XPSDR. If you upgraded the speakers first however, I think you’d get everything they bring and it would allow the full potential of your system to shine through too. It then means you would also get the full benefit of the XPSDR if you did that at a later date.
Definitely try and hear a few speakers if you can.

3 Likes

As I already posted - IMO - ‘any’ XPS will do this. But - do factor in the need for a service on any older units .

2 Likes

The Roman’s came quite far in England but not up to Linn territory :slight_smile:

Who built the Antonine Wall then? Also where was Mons Graupius?

1 Like

S.H XPSDR for the NDX2

3 Likes

Thanks all… my thoughts now are to first investigate a speaker upgrade, and what I can get for my money, and whether it gives me a noticeable upgrade in SQ. Then I’ll reflect from there. I suspect that a speaker upgrade will give more room for a future XPS upgrade to really shine. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I would say do a home test between a supercapdr upgrade and a 300dr upgrade.
And do both.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.