Suggestions for Naim preamp and or power amp: replacing quad 34 and/or 909

NAC 102 £380; NAPSC £139; Naim Hicap CB £380 = £899
The above are inc. delivery - Should be here for the weekend :crossed_fingers:
So where should I go for inter connects and power leads ? Recommendations please !
Thanks All

1 Like

Hopefully the Hicap will come with the standard Naim IEC power cable but depending on age, this may have been lost. The NAPSC comes with a captive cable to connect to the 102 and depending whether it’s a NAPSC1 or 2, either a captive mains cable (1) or standard Naim IEC cable (2). You’ll need a SNAIC5 to connect the Hicap to the 102 if one is not already being supplied - check it’s a genuine SNAIC5 though. See the FAQ below

To connect the Hicap to the Quad, you’ll need a custom DIN4 to 2xRCA cable. With Flashback cables no more, try somewhere like Designacable, if you can’t find a Naim version.

Connect as below

1 Like

I think you’ll be thrilled with a 102/NAPSC/Hicap.

Enjoy!

1 Like

So all have arrived: NAC 102 : NAPSC : Naim Hicap (CB) and I have now ordered the following connects:
SNAIC 5 - from the Hicap to the Nac 102
4 Pin Din To RCA/Phono - from the Naim Hicap CB to the Quad 909 Power amp
BNC/RCA converters to use with my existing Lin black phono leads to the Nac 102 Phono stage (maybe not ideal? but will get me going.)

Looking at the Nac 102 illustration above, for Naim labeling of the connections on the Nac 102.

When I have the connects I think ‘all’ I have to do is remove the blanking plug and
Connect the Napsc lead to the napsc two pin port
Connect the Snaic 5 from the rightmost port on the HiCap to the leftmost 5 Pin Din port of the Nac 102.
Connect the 4 Pin Din To RCA/Phono lead from the rightmost 4 Pin Din on the HiCap, To the RCA input sockets on the Quad.
Connect the Lin Black RCA/Phono leads using the BNC adapters, to the BNC phono connectors on the Nac 102 (labelled 1b)

hen I think we can make some sounds with Vinyl :slight_smile: :crossed_fingers:

*** So last piece of the puzzle… ***

The AV side all goes via optical toslink to a DAC, with line level out on RCA connectors. This was then routed through to the Quad 34 with a 5pin Din to RCA lead.

Can I use this same lead to take the signal to the Nac 102 using the 5 pin Din port labelled 2 in the diagram above ?

The pinout on the Quad port appears to be the same as that for the Naim. Looking at the rear panels of both preampswe get:

Quad 34 - 180 degree 5 pin Din port with the key at 12 o’clock, with the 5 pins in the bottom half reading anticlockwise from left to right…
L : R : earth : nc : nc

Naim Nac 102 port 2 - 180 degree 5 pin Din port with the key at 12 o’clock, with the 5 pins in the bottom half reading anticlockwise from left to right…
ch.1 : ch.2 : -ve : nc : nc

Quad 34

I do have one other question. spoke to a Naim dealer today, looking for interconnects. They were very helpful, but I could only get the Snaic 5 today.
I asked how much and he replied about £180, but he could do it for £160.
I said 1 6 0 ? :smiley:
I thanked him for his time and apologised saying I had not realised these items could cost so much. I don’t think there can be that many sold, they would have to be transported in armoured cars, but I guess at that price you don’t have to sell many.

Has anybody bought Naim cables from Naim dealers?
Did they pay these prices?
Why?

Thanks - quite shocked
ab1962

Yep. Your proposed wiring between 102, NAPSC, Hicap and 909 is correct.

The RCA to DIN cable is fine. The sockets are wired the same on the 102 as on the Quad pre so that will work for your DAC too.

1 Like

That’s great @james_n -
I was confused for a while and a cable vendor corrected me on the Hicap to quad connection (I was thinking it would be from the Nac to Quad)
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes the SNAIC cables are quite expensive new.
You can usually find genuine pre loved ones quite easily though in the usual places at more reasonable prices.

3 Likes

Just to add, if you do go for a Naim power amp in the future then it should come with the appropriate SNAIC4 or DIN4 to XLR depending on amp. If you do end up with excess SNAICs then they are easy to sell on.

1 Like

@ab1962 I share your confusion and no I don’t pay those prices, but then I make my own.

1 Like

So all the pieces have arrived. I have connected them all together, and they all work. Was it worth it?

Yes :smiley:

I now have my entire Vinyl collection to revisit. I have a feeling that Live albums in particular will improve with this set up. It’s just like it’s, all there :smiley:

@davidhendon “a revelation”. Indeed! Thank you for sharing your experience, nay inspiration, with your Quad to Naim migration.

Re Cables. As you may have gathered I have not bought original equipment for this aspect of the system. I went to Fleabay where I found a vendor who was most helpful and knowledgeable about what I was trying to do. The cables seem good to me, being constructed with professional grade microphone cable and good quality connectors. Who knows? It sounds good.

So, thanks and credit to you all, in order of appearance :slight_smile:
@anon4489532 , @Dan_M , @Ardbeg10y , @Richard.Dane ; @Thegreatroberto , @davidhendon @PerF , @Zenarcade @james_n , @Roog
Very pleased indeed.

4 Likes

Hi @Richard.Dane,
Not sure why you removed the link from my previous post, so I have added “and simcox55 on eBay” back in on the list of credits below, without the link to his account in ebay.

If you have a policy whereby mention of any third party suppliers, other than those approved by you/this forum, or Naim must be removed, just let me know :slight_smile:

Best
Andy

So, thanks and credit to you all, in order of appearance :slight_smile:
@anon4489532 , @Dan_M , @Ardbeg10y , @Richard.Dane ; @Thegreatroberto , @davidhendon @PerF , @Zenarcade @james_n , @Roog and simcox55 on eBay.

Very pleased indeed.

Andy, no eBay links please, hence why it was removed, thanks.

Thanks Richard - Copy that
:slight_smile:

Glad everything is set up and congratulations on building your system which should sound fantastic.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your system in System Pics soon.

Best wishes

Dan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.