Summer Festivals

Just wondering if people have an affection for any music festivals. I know we like to listen to music in the comfort of our homes but I must say I have always enjoyed a summer festival or two too. I hate camping and try to glamp where possible but sometimes the lure of the roster of artists overcomes my misgivings about canvas dwelling. A case in point is the line-up for Love Supreme this year. I couldn’t believe the line-up of so many artists that I want to see: Sarathy Korwar, Mathew Halsall, Emma-Jean Thackrey, Mulatu Astatke, Tom Misch, Ezra Collective and Gary Bartz and Maisha to name a few. So I’m going!

I shall probably also go to WOMAD and Fairport Convention’s annual Cropredy Reunion too.

Others’ have plans?

I have been going to The End Of The Road festival since the second festival in the mid -noughties. Brilliant location, atmosphere and music. Have already got my tickets for this years and this is the line up:

2 Likes

That looks like an excellent line-up. Particularly Khruangbin and Tinariwin.

1 Like

Going to Latitude this year after a hiatus of about 8 years, unless one counts day festivals in London. Never been to Latitude before and no line up announced yet but this was the only date that worked where there were still tickets available.

1 Like

Booked for Uttoxeter Acoustic Festival of Britain at the end of May,lovely small festival with real ale tent,a few food stalls,second hand music stalls,lineup not confirmed yet,but will make no difference,just be great to get to a festival again.

1 Like

A big +1 for A Love Supreme because of the acts you mention - I doubt we will bother with the headliners TBH. Also booked in for Giles Petersen’s We Out Here near Huntingdon in late August altho not seen any programme yet - went in 2019 and it was excellent.

2 Likes

At age 63 I’ve never been to a festival.

Two years ago got Sunday (residents) Glastonbury tickets and hopefully be able to use them this year.

1 Like

Done lots of pop, rock and metal festivals (oh and house in the very past). Now looking forward to Graspop Metal Meeting in Dessel, Belgium. Hope our leaders give clarity soon on international regulation for all bigger and often headlining acts (but smaller bands as well) as it comes to world touring.

1 Like

Yep… we are booking our Folk East tickets… should be back to full strength again this year.

It’s a festival of music, dance, spoken word, crafts and above all it’s about people of all ages… just how a festival should be … the vibe is superb.

It’s nice where the bands and artists mix with the festival goers.

1 Like

I’ve been a regular at Cropredy since 1984, after 2 years off I’m hoping to enjoy the field again this summer.

1 Like

I used to try to attend a couple of outside, weekend festivals each year but these days i prefer multi venue urban environment events with a comfy hotel to retreat to at the end of each day. Maybe i’m getting old but the risk of a mud bath has lost its appeal.

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

I know what you mean!

its nice when a festival is almost on your door step - you can nip home and get a good nights sleep if it all gets too much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s why WOMAD is so good for me. I love world music and i live just a few miles away.

1 Like

I remember one year at Cropredy where the heavens opened and there was a deluge of biblical proportions. The speakers were crackling during Richard Thomson’s set, which we could scarcely hear above the noise of the rain on our brolly! The speakers then went pop and that was the end of the evening’s performance.

3 Likes

Its more the need for a good nights sleep and a decent breakfast to charge the batteries for the next day rather than anything else.

My brother and I always camp at End of the Road but we always take the kit (frying pan, moka coffee maker) to make decent coffee and egg and bacon sarnies! And a pair of hip flasks sorts out the nights sleep

1 Like

From where we were sitting we saw a massive flash from one of the generators not long before they stopped the set.

1 Like

I was there too!

1 Like