Sunrise & Sunsets - Show us yours

22st June after the shortest day.

That’s winter solstice (21st of June). Winter officially starts here on the first of June (yesterday).

I think there is the general 3 months of winter thing, starting on 1 June for June, July and August, but technically the meteorological definition is that winter starts at the shortest day and summer at the longest day.

1 Like

I’m for anything that shortens it. :grin:

1 Like

Here’s one from the bottom of my road. I still pinch myself that we live so close to this.

18 Likes

…and a few moments later…

Another sunset in the Otter Estuary, Budleigh Salterton, East Devon. This time last Tuesday evening.

14 Likes

Another sunset looking towards the Camel Estuary in Cornwall. Those sheep appeared today and they are very noisy!

19 Likes

A quiet evening at the ‘Sham recently

5 Likes

I wonder how many in this forum know or can guess what this structure was originally used for and why the strange geometry?

Nuclear testing and then Radar systems. There is a fair bit about it now on the internet.

Testing parts of nuclear weapons, ballistics testing, developing parachutes, proving that RDF could detect and show a moving aircraft (the team went to Bawdsey Manor almost immediately to develop it further.) So radar then nukes.

1 Like

Chesil?

Wide area radar still being tested with the ‘mericans right up to closure in 1973. (Backscatter project or somesuch)

1 Like

Aaah, the Cobra Mist building, over-the-horizon radar, yes, that had slipped my mind. I think in practice it was almost all RCA personnel. Currently houses equipment for transmitting Radio Caroline?

5 Likes

Piles, Valencia

7 Likes

And a great place name. Seem to also remember going to a town called Pahrump when we drove through Death Valley many years ago !

1 Like

Sunset looking North from a small island near Helgeroa, Southeast coast of Norway. 11 o’clock.

IPhone.

16 Likes

No sunset but a nice sky here in West Wales

9 Likes

Yes it always gets a laugh and is actually pronounced Peeless which is what I do more and more frequently as I get older

1 Like

There’s a band new to the scene called ‘Peaness’ and it amuses me every time I hear a 6 Music presenter trying not to laugh whilst saying their name

1 Like