Super cap or 300?

I’m moving from sn2+hicap to 282. For similar $ I can get a 250dr + supercap or a 300dr. My speakers are focal sopra 3 and my source is dcs Rossini. My primary interest is increasing sound quality at lower db. Which approach would provide the better result?

Philosophically I would go source first and therefore stick with the SC and 250. As ever a dem is best but the source then pre hierarchy is a solid strategy in building Naim systems.

1 Like

The real question here is where you see the system evolving to and what’s the availability of Naim kit in your area.

The Focals are efficient speakers and play well at relatively low levels (courtesy of the Be tweeter) but they are far better when fed with a bigger amp, especially as regards bass control.

But the dcs really demands the best/better pre-amp for it to shine (‘source first’ thinking). So my view aligns to SA’s above in that adding a Supercap to a 282 (care re the required leads) makes the 282 smoother and more detailed, and takes away some of the ‘bright edge’ which a 282 can have. The 250 should be able to handle the Sopras without issue - and at modest volumes, there shouldn’t be a night & day difference between a 250 and 300.

2 Likes

Convention says that the Supercap should be the priority. If buying blind that is what I would suggest.

However when I had a 282/Hicap DR/250DR I changed to a 300DR first, mainly due to an opportunity.

The improvement was very significant, especially at low volumes. It also seems to tame the 282, I suspect that the 300 is smoother than the 250. When I added a Supercap to the 282 (with the 300DR already in place) the improvement wasn’t as dramatic to my ears as the change from 250DR to 300DR. I then added a 252 which was quite a step change once run in.

This may not fit with yours and others experiences but I did find the 282/HicapDR/300DR to be an excellent amplifier. Good enough to be end game. This was with an NDS/555DR source and Kudos S20 speakers.

4 Likes

With your source, I would get the 300DR, then skip the 252 and go straight for a 552.

Oh, it’s so easy to spend other people’s :moneybag:.

:rofl:

7 Likes

Nac 252 .

1 Like

If your looking at a 282 with a S/C and 250, then I’d be considering the 252 over the 282, as the cost difference is small in terms of overall cost.

2 Likes

Just to add a bit of confusion, Focal reccomends the below for their Sopra 3. Clearly a case of where you want to land.

1 Like

If it were me with that system, I’d be getting the 300DR. It will control the speakers better and should improve low volume listening. You’d then be well advised to look at a 252 or preferably a 552.

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of the 252 at all. If you can entertain the different appearance, I’d be inclined to go for a late 52 and SuperCap, which in my opinion, is more refined and closer to the 552. That might leave you with funds to do the power amp upgrade at the same time.

1 Like

Hi Katzky, bet you wish you’d never asked now :joy:. Improve pre one way or the other I’d say. High level of resolution means more detail at a low listening level. You can’t loose really ATB Peter

1 Like

When I got my first 300 (non dr) to replace an olive 250 one of the main attributes I noticed was that the 300 was much better for low volume listening. That was with SBLs but continued with SL2s

1 Like

As a rossini and clock owner I can hopefully give you some great advice as tried quite a few things.
If the rossini is your only source, then skip the pre amp altogether and run a 300dr straight off the rossini.
As even with a 552dr into my 500dr, the difference between pre and no pre was not huge, you can adjust voltage outputs on the rossini to keep the rossini pre as close to 0 dB as you can, a bit of a pain at times, but if you play mainly the same volume all the time, then it can work fine.
But the rossini is very different to the naim streamers and does have a good pre built in it, if I didn’t have a turntable then I would certainly sell my 552 and 500 and just run some balanced mono amps direct from it.
Also have you got the clock? If not then this is also certainly something you should look to get

Any more help just ask

2 Likes

The Rossini is not enough revealing for a 300 dr, I feel.
A Nait xs or SN would be enough very probably.
You know, I am so serious.

1 Like

As others have stated, what is your end game? I started with a 282 hicap, 250.2. Had the 282 recapped, and while the 282 was out being recapped, a dealer I frequent let me know that one of his clients was selling on a 250 DR that was less than a year old. Obviously with the new recapp of 282 and the new 250 DR, there was a nice upgrade in sound. What really surprised me was adding a supercap DR on my 282. The change in sound and delivery was quite nice and significant, and keeps the delivery more even at lower volumes with a nicer sound stage.

I am going to follow the naim path and will move to a 252 next, as the 250 seems to deliver plenty of power for my needs. But that is just my situation of course.

Scott

2 Likes

I take it you are buying used? If not a dealer demo should answer your question better than any opinion from a forum.

Tricky but having tried 300DR with 282 it’s a big upgrade over 250s - low volume listening is superb. Equally attempts to demo a Supercap with 282 have failed so far.

As expected, the consensus is 282 + supercap + 300dr then 500. I absolutely love this forum.

7 Likes

My end game with Naim is 282 + 300.

3 Likes

I wonder how many knows this and sticks to it :see_no_evil: I’ve had great improvements moving from 250DR to 300DR and the same adding 555PSDR. It’s the sum of parts eventually opening up to a new world IMO.