Super cap or 300?

And a fine pairing it is too

1 Like

Now you have me thinking. I was offered a 300 DR recently and a trade in of my 250. After reading this thread and reviewing others, it seems to be a nice combo.

May have to rethink the 252 first step / 300 add on to 282 option.

Scott

With your speakers, I would probably prioritise the 300DR.

Can you expand on your reply. Is it due to speaker load, or the 300 is a better compliment to the 25.26?

Scott

I don’t have a technical explanation — just an experience coming from the 25.23.

I started these with an XS2, which sounded fine, and I was happy enough. I then upgraded to an SN2, and I felt that I took then much better advantage of the 25.23. I think the SN2 is the ideal starting point for the 25.23.

I now have a 250, and that feels like giving the speakers a good shake. Now I know what the speakers can do. The perfect match, I think. The 300DR would improve them, surely — but those monies are probably much better spend elsewhere. Source me thinks, or better speakers… LOL.

Looking at your speakers — massive compared to mine. And my gut feeling is that you only really hear your speakers when you have a 300DR. Nothing wrong with the 250DR. I am sure it does a fine job, but your speakers have much more Potential. My gut feeling is they will be shaken up once a 300DR is connected.

2 Likes

Katsky2021, my vote is to enjoy a 282/SC/250 while saving for the 300. A good case can be made to even move to 252 or 552 before the 300.

Charlie

2 Likes

I might normally recommend going the 282/SC route first, but given the speakers I think the 300DR is an excellent move. It will add so much more grip and control to the speakers. When I upgraded my 250DR to a 300DR it was as if I had upgraded my speakers too (Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum).

OTOH, adding a SCDR to a 282 makes the upgrade path to a 252 so much easier. That’s how I got there.

2 Likes

Well I now have a 300DR + SL interconnects + supercap getting ready to ship to my home. Just received a new pair of Chord Sarum T rca cables.

6 Likes

I’ve just completed an excellent deal with my local dealer, next week I will be picking up a new SCDR to pair with my 282, more on this later…

11 Likes

Good move :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Don’t forget you’ll need a second SNAIC for the SC/282 connection.

1 Like

I have 300dr with sopra 2 and it fantastic I did have 250dr for a year the 300dr is better it give more power in the lower end the 250dr is excellent aswell but the 300 has more.

1 Like

SCDR is in the Fraim!

Time to start the running in process but first impressions are excellent, even now the 282 is showing its true colours, plenty of detail, bass goes deep at very low volumes which is fantastic for late listening sessions.

2 Likes

Yeah, the first thing I noticed when I went from a HCDR to SCDR on my 282/250DR was how much better the bass is. Just amazing. Punchier dynamics and better resolution across the board. After that came a 252 and then 300DR for even better improvements. Now I’m at top of classic range and done. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Agreed. I was impressed at what the SC did for the sound stage too. More separation and depth. Enjoy!

Scott

1 Like

Nice setup you have :slightly_smiling_face: there I’m same as you not going any higher amplification wise. Cannot afford the ridiculous amount for 552 500 setup. You have to draw the line somewhere in this vicious circle :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Oh by the way all my gear was bought used, the only new item’s are the ATC scm 40 speakers. This is my final upgrade before retirement

1 Like

I’m in the US and it’s nearly impossible to find a used 252. I’m buying everything ex demo so 282 is what I’ve got. So far it sounds like a significant improvement vs my SN2.

2 Likes

Unfortunately after all this I’ve canceled my Sopra 3 order. Didn’t want to wait around until October/November. My 300 is barely breaking a sweat driving my s-400’s.

I’m in the U.S. too. Just be patient. 252s do come up. I ended up getting mine from Tyler at NextLevelAudio on A’gon. In fact, it was the one @Bart traded in for his 552. You could also let Tyler know you are looking. That’s exactly how I got two of my PowerLines.

2 Likes

300dr will drive sopra 3 nó problem.