Super group or Supergroup, what’s the difference?

How about Them Crooked Vultures… Josh Homme John Paul Jones and David Grohl.
I remember hearing “New Fang” on the radio in 2009, thought it was really good.Sadly they have not done much since that first album.

1 Like

I only recall hearing/reading the term “supergroup” back in the 1970s, when it was applied to bands where many if not all of the members had been in very successful other bands. Bands I recall being referred to in that way included ELP, Humble Pie & Asia. However I don’t remember the term being used for Led Zeppelin. I don’t think there was a formal definition, and it would necessarily be vague as many musicians have been in other bands before joining one with several others to become even “bigger”.

2 Likes

Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke and Jean-Luc Ponty worked together on ‘The Rite of Strings’.

But he has worked with many brilliant musicians throughout his life, including John McLaughlin, Paco de Lucia, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, et al.

1 Like

Reflecting, maybe the real “Supergroups” were those where the members were so famous they felt they didn’t need a name for the band other than their own names, e.g: Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Paice, Ashton & Lord; Beck, Bogart & Appice.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.