Super lumina

Can anyone advise me on an upgrade lead from my cb 250 super lumina amp to supercap 3 pin xlr to 4 pin din would the cost of this cable justify the price for sound improvement?

I would try a witch hat morgana myselfā€¦ā€¦.a lot less expensive.

1 Like

IMOā€¦ no. But its up to you to decide.

Not a Believer - in expensive cables, here. Standard Naim throughout for me.

Other opinions will be along shortly, I have no doubt.

3 Likes

When Naim produced the Hiline they didnā€™t make a DIN to XLR version, saying that they couldnā€™t get it to sound better than the standard cable. I canā€™t help thinking that the SL version is only there for the sake of offering a full range.
To my mind these very costly cables are disproportionately expensive for a system like yours, and I canā€™t help thinking that your money would be better spent elsewhere.
Thatā€™s mainly speculation though. Do the demo and see if your ears get a nice surprise.

1 Like

The SL Din to XLR is very much into icing on the cake territory, and probably the smartie on the icing. Itā€™s only worth considering once everything else is optimised, such as dedicated mains, good system supports. The Naim Din to XLR, while not expensive, is actually very good. Which speakers and speaker cables are you using?

2 Likes

Id say stick with Naim leads full stop. Imo CB/Olive is not hi end hifi its hi end musical enjoyment.
With the witch hat Morgana imo is just an emperor in new clothes situation. If you do a search you will find many many people talking about faulty cables, wrong cable sent difficulty with communication and the like. I can contest to this, as I had an awful situation with some mono Morgana leads. I wonā€™t get into it in specifics as I think Richard will edit my post, but what I can say is, I had the leads for two weeks they had my money for three months. One cannon plug was wired in the wrong way around after many emails they tried to tell me that was normal for flexibility of box location, i have yet to see a 135 amp positioned upside down on a rack or a split 300 or 500 PS :joy: Just a complete nightmare. Seriously, Just crap.

2 Likes

And he did :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Shame on you Richard. Rooster is quite right, for example speaker cable with +ve and -ve cables running in different directions!!

1 Like

Even the chief designer recommend Naim A5 cable

3 Likes

On my 250dr the SL Din XLR justifies its high price

I find SL best when used across the full system, and well worth it in bringing out the best of a good Naim system.

2 Likes

Totally agree Mike, it a similar situation as the same situation when upgradeinmg to DR at the was being released I had friends that were putting upgrading DR into non-DIR systems, became it became a bit disjointed and wasnā€™t not much fun until after completing a full upgrade DR then it gelled for what iit wis. But still donā€™t like it for me but i get the hifi factor about it all.
Go the Olivesā€‹:index_pointing_at_the_viewer: the fun boxes :partying_face:

1 Like

That didnā€™t work for me at all. The speaker cables were a very significant upgrade from NACA5 in my system, but the interconnects did nothing for me.

Just reread my previous post , whoops it was a long night shift. I think you know what I meantšŸ˜¬.
To me the sum of the whole system upgrades is by far more pleasant than just one or two boxes, once the whole system has been done seems to be completely better synergy. A mate put superlumina into his classic 500 system, didnā€™t work for us at all made it a bit to warm and took the Attack out of the sound in other words, it just didnā€™t light up like Nac 5. Then another buddy had a full 500 DR system which loved the super Lumina. Just because itā€™s has naim audio on the front of the box doesnā€™t necessarily mean itā€™s going to work with different generations,
Itā€™s all in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day.

1 Like

Funny how opinions vary on this subject. My SL din/XLRā€™s on my 500 were a massive improvement from the off. Then, they just got better and better! I think that people sometimes do very quick A/B comparisons and SL can require a lot of care. It can sound very average if you donā€™t get it to hang freely, which is not easy to do on any rack.

I can hear it go off even if the cable touches itself. You have to play a bit with the Dins (rotate them slightly) to get any stress away from the cable, plus pulling them out to free the internal pin array. Get them right and Iā€™ve yet to hear a cable thatā€™s better - although Iā€™d still like to try some Chord Music.

A couple of months ago I put the standard leads back in for a few days. The image lost loads of depth and width, instrument timbre went off, vocals collapsed into the mix, all the amazing micro dynamics became blurred and I found myself constantly turning the volume down.

Sanity simply returned as soon as I put them back in. I think they are a very natural sounding cable but just a bit on the expensive side, which is probably why Iā€™ve not tried Music!

2 Likes

Some people like hifi, some people like music and hifi, and some like musical enjoyment take your pick.
My buddy had SL speakers cables in for weeks, he initially called it a ā€˜garage purchaseā€ i could compare the situation to a NDS vs CD555, NDS good enough HIFI, CD555 way better music. Micro detail is not what we are after.
Naturally just opinions, pays your money where you like it. None of its bad that is for sure.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.